Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Anyone else had this happen?

11-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Terry

My Support Groups:
Anyone else had this happen?

Hi everyone, I had a right side Hemicolectomy on the 30th of April this year, All went well with the surgery, bowel woke up within 24 hours, and I was able to go home 6 days after. When I went to get my staples removed the Dr wasn't happy with how the wound looked so he took a swab and sent it off to be tested, turned out that I had staff, so I then had to have community nurse come in to clean and dress it every 2nd day. I saw the surgeon 2 weeks after my surgery, and I commented to him about how distended my abdomen was, especially on the left side (opposite side to where the surgery was done), he said he wasn't concerned that it would settle with time. I had another appointment with him at 8 weeks post surgery, and again said that I wasn't happy with the way my abdomen was still so distended, again he didn't want to know about it! We are now 6 months down the track, and I still look like I am 6 months pregnant The scar had stretched across the middle to almost 2 inches wide, so I went to my GP and he sent me for a CT scan, the results came back that all looks good as far as the hemicolectomy went, but I have a divarication of the rectus abdominus muscles with broad necked herniation of the abdominal contents. I am going to make an appointment to see the surgeon again, and hope I get a better response from him this time. I would be really happy to hear from anyone who has had a similar outcome from their surgery and how they fixed the hernia.
Right Hemicolectomy April 2014
Vitamin B12 injections 3 monthly.
11-09-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sorry your in this position. I've not had this happen.
Sending you my support.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
12-11-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
Terry

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone, I saw my surgeon today regarding this abdominal swelling that has not gone down since having a right hemicolectomy in April, and yes I do indeed have a hernia which has to be repaired. (funny he wouldn't recognise that fact back in June) and yes the stomache muscle has split and will also need repair and as for the bellybutton being 2 inches to the left and sideways, well he just doesn't want to give me an answer for that one.If I hadn't got my GP to send me for a CT scan and gone Armed with the proof that something was wrong the surgeon would still be fobbing me off. I believe that I was left with a doctor of very little experience to do the close up after the surgery, and this is why the surgeon can't answer any of my questions, and now I have to go through the whole procedure again. Not a happy camper.
12-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear this. It does seem odd that this wasn't picked up earlier. I hope this one goes well and you can get on with thing.

Sending you my support.
12-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I hope you're having a different surgeon this time!
12-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
Terry

My Support Groups:
No same surgeon, I don't have any choice in that, but I think he well and truly understands he has to get it right this time, otherwise i'll sue the pants off him!!
I am not looking forward to going through that pain again, especially when it's due to somebodies negligence.
12-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
elakes

Terry, I have the same thing right now and it is a hernia as my surgeon told me. I am supposed to have a reversal in January sand then he will fix the problem. Mine was caused by having three surgeries in 6 months time and my fourth is this January - the anniversary of my first surgery!
12-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #8
Terry

My Support Groups:
Hi elakes, you poor thing, I'm so sorry to hear that, you must be so over the surgery crap. I am just really peeved off about having to go through this a 2nd time due to somebodies negligence, why I know that I was left with a novice is that when I asked the surgeon why my bellybutton was 2" to the left and sideways, he said he would have to talk to his understudy about that. I can live with the scar and the placement of the navel, but not it being sideways as it has been pulled very tight and my tummy swells after food or drink and the navel becomes even tighter which is very painful. I wish you well and hope and pray that this is your last surgery. Good luck. xxxx
12-13-2014, 04:05 AM   #9
Terry

My Support Groups:
Thanks Catherine

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Anyone else had this happen?