Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran and Nausea question

11-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
aideen33

My Support Groups:
Imuran and Nausea question

Just started the Imuran on Friday. Holy Nausea batman, its bad. Doctor said I should take all of my Asacol in one dose either morning or night and all of the Imuran in one dose either morning or night. I have had the Asacol at night and the Imuran in the morning but im thinking I should swap that around. Is anyone taking Imuran at night to try and sleep through some of the nausea? Does that even work?
Dx'ed (June '14) Crohn's colitis w/ possible small bowel involvement, Pyloric Stenosis. Asthma, Multiple allergies, pre-diabetic, unexplained tachycardia, hypertension, restless leg, and pos. ANA, waiting for rheum. referral for possible lupus
Meds: Azathioprine, Methyprednisolone, metoprolol ER, Lomotil, Tramadol, Protonix, flexeril, ropinirole, farxiga, vits D, b12, biotin, fish oil, glucosamine
11-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
nikimazur

My Support Groups:
I'm on 150mg of azathiorpine. Lately, I have been splitting it up into 50mg with breakfast, lunch, and dinner (well around those times). Previously, I was doing 100mg in the morning and 50mg at night, but the nausea killed me. I have also found that over time, the nausea seems to lessen. I started azathioprine six months ago, and took a two month break. Restarted last month, and had to get re accustomed to the nausea.

Crohn's, Traumatic Brain Injury, Autoimmune Hepatitis (May 2014)

Current meds:Bactrim DS, Azathioprine, Entyvio, levbid
Past meds: Pentasa, Lialda, Prednisone, Entocort, Asacol HD, Prilosec, Lomotil, Lotronex, Nexium, Myfortic, Humira

http://lifeinthetimeofuncertainty.blogspot.com
11-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I started taking it at night because I was so tired. I didn't experience lasting nausea (7-10 days). I did get headaches and felt off for a few months but it passed.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
11-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
aideen33

My Support Groups:
Did you get... for lack of a better term... spacey? i feel like such an idiot the last few days ....
11-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I did but it passed. Of course there are those who would say it had nothing to do with Imuran.
11-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
MissCadenza

I take it at night and make sure I have a snack before I take it - like literally right before, just a cookie or something - and I find that pretty much stops the nausea. The first time I took it was in the morning and I felt so sick, then I read the label and it clearly said 'TAKE THREE AT NIGHT AND WITH FOOD' so I was like 'okay'. You should sleep through the icky feelings. Imuran also helps me sleep better, strangely. I'm only waking up at night now from random acts of cat.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran and Nausea question