• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Effects of coffee on your IBD

How does coffee affect your ibd?

• Coffee has only/mostly negative effects on my ibd.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Coffee has no effect on my ibd.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Coffee has only/mostly positive effects on my ibd.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Coffee has both positive and negative effects on my ibd. (Please explain it.)

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

dave13

Forum Monitor
Any form of caffeine really stimulates my bowels.I enjoy the occasional cup of black coffee with honey and cinnamon,watered down a bit.I only do this at home or at work,because of the potential sprint to the bathroom.

I miss coffee and tea.I do drink herb teas.We have a coffee grinder at work and I love when customers grind coffee.The aroma is close to intoxicating...no,I don't miss drinking coffee.

A long winded ramble to say coffee,and all caffeine,stimulates my bowels and I avoid it.I enjoy it occasionaly,but with setons I don't need unnecessary trips to the bathroom.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I drink 2 cups a day with no issues. For some reason I've had to abstain after getting out of the hospital. (A few times in the last 10 years). Felt awful after drinking it.

SarahBear

Coffee used to be torturous to me, even after a few drinks. However, winter before last, I would pour a little into a to-go cup and carry it with me to keep my hands warm on the walk from the parking garage to work, and take little sips every day. Eventually my body got used to it. Now I can drink it with no negative effects most of the time, and those effects are usually mild. My symptoms are starting to act up lately, so it's starting to cause more of a problem.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Coffee used to be torturous to me, even after a few drinks. However, winter before last, I would pour a little into a to-go cup and carry it with me to keep my hands warm on the walk from the parking garage to work, and take little sips every day. Eventually my body got used to it. Now I can drink it with no negative effects most of the time, and those effects are usually mild. My symptoms are starting to act up lately, so it's starting to cause more of a problem.
Reading this makes me think,I do this at work.I carry a cup,more to keep my hands warm,and sip it.Perhaps there is hope for me to have coffee again!

guest20

ellazmeanie
I've switched from instant to ground and also black tea stopped using sugar and now use honey and cut out herbal tea's actually prefer the taste with the honey and doubt I'll buy sugar again

I've actually drank more coffee than before being diagnosed bc I've almost totally cut out soda. I loved an early morning diet coke! I'm on the constipated side of bowel issues so a cup of coffee gets things going.

I enjoy a cup of coffee only if I know that I will be home soon. But I will try the desensitization method SarahBear mentioned. I stoped drinking black tea years ago but not green tea ( but also only at home). As for soda, it is a disaster for me but iam addicted to Pepsi. Tried to stop it several times with complete failure.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
It's been awhile since I've had coffee. But, it would mostly upset my stomach & I believe that I'd be in the bathroom pretty soon after drinking it. I think the main thing for me is the acid in it since I don't do very well with acidic items.

Needless to say, I drink a lot of herbal type tea. My husband and my favorites are: Stash, Celestial Seasonings and we've recently found some that are good for colds by Traditional Medicinals.

Coffee that is too strong does give me the runs. I make my own brew where I can control how weak it is. Some brands set me off, some don't. I found a place that sells Arabian coffee which is safe for the piping. Can't drink coffee outside the home anymore, got sick one too many times. For travel I pack herbal teas, they're cheaper and more compact and I can get hot water anywhere. I drink tea more often. I love it with honey which is a more nutritious sweetener than sugar.

I voted that coffee as mostly positive effects for me because I use it to control when I go in the morning. It's great!
When I'm flaring I have a cup of espresso, very strong, and I'll go within a few minutes. That gives me enough time to get to work.
When I'm in remission it doesn't work quite as quickly but it's still handy to help things along when I need to get out the door.
I usually only have one cup and mostly only drink that one at home.

Caffeine always sends me straight to the bathroom. But, I can manage other types of caffeine, like tea, with relatively minimal difficulty, while coffee always gives me pretty severe nausea as well. It doesn't seem to make a difference if it's black, or any other variety of drink, if there's coffee in it, it usually isn't a safe bet for me.

I drink coffee everyday. However, if I'm having a bad tummy day I will drink decaf because I have noticed that caffeine gives me a bit of cramping and such.

I have to drink coffee every day to try to keep my constipation under control. Usually I have to add benefiber and stool softeners too, but on a good day coffee is enough