• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eye Issues from the meds?

I called my doctor today thinking the headaches Ive been having for the last several days might be a side effect of the Azathioprine since its news (10 days in). She says maybe but considers it unlikely. Shes lowering it from 75mg to 50mg just in case, and lowering the prednisone from 20 to 10. She thinks the more likely scenario is incresed intraocular pressure and wants me to see an opthamologist asap (have call into PCP for referral so that insurance will consider it medical not preventative). Is this a common thing with steroids/Crohns ? My last GI never mentioned it, but new GI is concerned cause ive been on pred continuously since late June. its stabbing pain behind my eyes that tylenol doesnt even begin to touch.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I was on pred at a younger age. Back then I was told to be vigilant about getting my eyes checked. I'm still vigilant. Thankfully I've had no issues.

Yes, get it checked out.

well good news is my primary is super efficient and has started the referral process already, just waiting on my insurance company to approve so i can make the appointment.

Update: Thank goodness for efficient referral department at my primary care's office and my insurance company. referral is approved. have a message into opthalmologist's office to make an appointment so hopefully will have some answers soon

My 5 yr old has building eye pressure. Thankfully not in danger of damage yet.
The eye doc told us the things to look for is head aches.
When you look down does it hurt? He said it was another sign.
Most often he said eye damage can cause no issues until it's to late. SCARY!

I hope all is well for you.