• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and piercing

Hey everyone! I'm just getting over a really bad flare and am starting to feel normal again, and I'd like to do something to mark my feeling okay again so at first I was thinking a tattoo but I think I might wait until I find something I really like for definite. I also really want my belly button pierced, do many people on here have theirs pierced and what does their doctors say or has it caused any trouble?

DJW

Forum Monitor
The only issue I can think of is needing to remove it for any tests or surgeries. Is there any metel in tattoo ink? I could see that being an issue in MRIs.

Some inks do have small amounts. I found that out first hand when one or two of my tatts got quite warm during an MRI, not enough to cause any issues just enough to be mildly uncomfortable. I had my navel pierced years ago (way before diagnosis), but my body rejected it which does happen from time to time with surface piercings like the navel. The only concern I can think of is making sure its had time to heal before any planned procedures cause as DJW mentioned of having to take it out for tests/procedures etc