• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Crohn's Diagnosis

My name is Andrea,

I am a wife and mom of two little boys (3 and 1). In addition, I work full time and am a current doctoral student. After months of severe pain, diarrhea, and weight loss I was recently diagnosed with moderate to severe Crohn's Disease. Coming to this diagnosis seems to have taken forever, but in hindsight I am floored by the incredible rate that my symptoms became more and more severe within several months and acutely over the last several weeks. Beginning in July I began experiencing adbominal pain, diarrhea, fatigue, and eventually flu-like symptoms for which I was hospitalized for six days. I acquired an infection during this time and received IVs and antibiotics to control a very high fever. During this time, I was also started on 60 mg Prednisone (now tapered to 40 mg). While in the hospital, I had a colonoscopy (a previous lower CT scan had already shown inflammation). My colonoscopy revealed areas of my large intestine and colon covered in ulcers and severe inflammation that was allowing only a very narrow space for food to pass through (hence, no formed stools in 3 months). I was also diagnosed with a partial fistula. My (brand new to me) gastroenterologist has indicated that there is so much inflammation and ulcers that another CT and colonoscopy should be performed to biopsy tissues to confirm Crohn's, but she says "she is still sure."

Now, I am home and trying to deal with this information. She has had the "you-will-probably-be-on-meds-for-rest-of-your-life" talk with me as well as the "scary-side-effects" talk. I spent the follow up doctor's office feeling like I was dying of a terminal illness. One of the things my doctor told me to do was research the disease. And so, I have. (After all, I am a doctoral student - albeit not in the field of medicine, but I do know how to conduct some research.) What I have learned is that most GI docs only discuss medicaton as an intervention for Crohn's and diet is rarely suggested as an alternative (or significant contributing factor). Online research, texts, some medical studies, and lots of personal testimonials seem to indicate this may not be the case. In fact, many people indicate that they are symptom-free from some radical changes in diet, such as the AIP, Paleo, SCD, or others. I have decided to take back some control and try the auto-immune version of Paleo. I started last week and within 24 hours I have my first formed stool in months. Now I can go 1-3 times a day (with is an improvement over my regular 8-10), but it is slow and still painful.

Paleo is super hard, seems very expensive, and my cravings/withdrawals are kind of hard to bear. I hear this stage passes. I also am confronted with how to ever eat food out in public, worried that my doctor might dismiss Paleo as a viable option, or even worse - that it won't work. I'm also not convinced that I want my little ones to do Paleo (or that they would), so for now it's two sets of meals which is even more stressful.

This is my first post and while I feel informed by others' posts I am scared at how much many of you have been through. I'm feeling sad, overwhelmed, totally exhausted (thank you steroids) and in need of some encouragement related to diagnosis/prognosis, diet, and overall quality of life.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Sorry you've been so sick. It's a lot to take in. The first year can be the hardest. Research is important. My doctor is a firm believer in diet but what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others. This makes diet recommendations difficult.

I don't want to overwhelm you with info. Know this, your life isn't over, things will look brighter when remission comes and with this DX their is a grieving process. Give yourself time to go through it.

Sending you my support.

AndreaP33,
Welcome. I was diagnosed with Crohns about 20 years ago, I've had one resection and am currently managed with Meds, lot of Meds.
BUT, I switched to Paleo after my last partial SBO and I feel better than I have in a decade- or longer. Don't get me wrong, I still take all my Meds and get Remicade, but man do I feel better. Less gas, bloating, pain etc.
Yes, Paleo is hard, expensive and time consuming- but for me the rewards are worth it. I do a lot of food prep on the weekends to help. And eating out can be difficult, and at times impossible.
Good luck to you.

AndreaP33,
It sounds like you are off to pretty informative start. My two cents will tell you that the docs don't ever tell you about all the good things diet can do for you. I will be posting eventually to catch up to the Crohn's Forum world as my son went through a Stem Cell transplant this past April for his Crohn's but...and this is a big but....diet is huge. You can do it but you have to be all in...and your family is young enough where the changes are easy to make...this does not happen with a 15 year olds. PM me and I will be happy to fill you in on how to get started and manage the labor intense part of the diet!

It sounds like you already wear a few hats...what's one more! You can do this and you don't want to ever experience the life that comes by not adjusting to the right diet!

Cheers,
Stacy

Thank you so much for your encouragement. It is hard sometimes to determine whether things are working, because I am still experiencing quite a bit of abdominal pain (perhaps more acute in the last few days) and I am never sure whether to attribute that to a particular food or just my freaky body. Its hard when you are overanalyzing everything . . .

Would appreciate any tips you have for managing the diet requirements.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I'd suggest starting with a food journal to track food and symptoms.
You could also try cutting dairy and gluten. If your doctor does decide to run a test for celiac disease it will come back negative.