Share Facebook

11-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #1
staloffn

My Support Groups:
Rabies exposure

They may be treating me for post rabies exposure. does anyone have any experience with this? i don`t believe i could have been exposed though we did have a crazy day w/a raccoon and a bite to a horse that i was handling. should get the results back on the raccoon today or in the next day or 2. might be tomorrow before i can get back on here but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Off to play w/ horses and spend the whole day talking to the health dept, cdc, and state vets. should be fun.
11-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
staloffn

My Support Groups:
And the test results on the coon came back positive. so, after speaking to the GI i now am concerned. you can`t have the post exposure rabies shots and be on humira(i`d assume any of those similar drugs) i take it weekly and will have to be off it for 14days prior to vac treatment. then 2 week while doing the treatment.. then, prob 2 more weeks or so. waiting to here back from the drug companies... yup, i`m about to get very sick!
this is a story of stay away from things like this no matter how much you know as far as personal protection and how to treat these types of things. i took every proper precaution in handling the wound on the horse and getting the coon shot but every dept. cdc, health dept., dr`s all agree that i prop wasn`t exposed but not willing to chance it. i`m sure i`ll be better by spring. stay safe everyone.
11-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Oh crap! That sucks that you have to go through the shots, but definitely better safe them sorry.....at least if you have a flare while being off humira there is supportive treatment, versus contracting rabies!!!

How is the horse?

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
11-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
staloffn

My Support Groups:
The old man(34) is fine. He was utd on shots and he got a booster as well.
11-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh wow! Sorry to hear what you are going through. Hopefully you don't get too sick while off Humira. I would stick to flare safe foods and avoid all possible stress to try to avoid a flare while you are off of it. Can your doctor put you on anything else while you are being treated?
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
11-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
staloffn

My Support Groups:
He might try to convince me to do a round on entocort(the other steroid) I rather avoid that. Mmj I think has been doing more then the HUMIRA with exception to controlling the fistulas.