Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Hiatal hernia poll!

View Poll Results: Have you gotten your hiatal hernia removed?
Yes- I don't regret it! 0 0%
Yes- I completely regret it! 1 11.11%
Nope- but I want to. 0 0%
Nope- I don't want to 4 44.44%
Don't have a hiatal hernia 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

11-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
alybaly402

Hiatal hernia poll!

I'm 18 and have a hiatal hernia. My GI and ENT have diff opinions in weather mine should be removed. One thinks yes and the other says no. I'm terrified if I have to get it removed! I'm so scared! I heard the recovery time is terrible and the pain is bad too?
Have you gotten yours removed or just have one?
Thanks!!
11-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Fixing a hiatal hernia has a high rate of failure. Not that it causes more complications, but that once it its fixed, it doesn't stay that way for long. Many times, another herniation forms near the area of the repair. I would go with the advice of whoever would be actually performing the surgery and then get a second opinion from the same type of surgeon.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
11-29-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
steve55

I had the Esophyx procedure, thought it would help with my symptoms, didnt help.
11-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Since my resection 11-25-13 I no longer have hiatal hernia symptoms.
12-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I have a hiatal hernia and severe GERD. My GI says that my hernia is "small and sliding" so it may not be the main cause of my GERD symptoms. Because of that, we've decided not to operate on it at this time. If things change then I'll be more open to the idea in the future. I've heard a few horror stories about the Nissen fundoplication surgery though, and I have also read that they're developing new ways of fixing hiatal hernias, so for now I'm happy to wait for newer, better surgeries/treatments to come along.
12-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have a hiatal hernia still.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Hiatal hernia poll!