11-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
Crohs & alcohol

Well my 21st birthday is in a couple weeks and I was just wondering if any of you had any tips. I know alcohol can cause pain and bloating. I probably won't have any beer. I want to celebrate but not get sick. Any advice? Thanks!!

Current Medications: Humira, Zofran, B12, D3, Iron

Meds that did not work: Entocort EC, Pentasa, Flagyl
11-30-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I see you're on flagyle. Don't touch alcohol while on that drug. My pharmacist told me not to even use mouthwash while on flagyl.

Sorry.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
11-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Zebrina

My Support Groups:
I'm actually off of it now. I should probably update that.
11-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's good
11-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Allegra

My Support Groups:
Hey, I find usually clear liquids fine, I'm no sicker the next day and if I am, it's just a hangover - nothing to do with my colon! Vodka mixed with Coke, or Sprite is good or if you're not loving soda, try juices Have a happy birthday!
12-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #6
BayAreaChronie

My Support Groups:
Happy Birthday!
Personally, I haven't noticed anything, but since being diagnosed in 2010, I decided to stick to clear alcohol after reading what others had to say on what they drink, and drinking only 2-3 cups when going out while also drinking water to be on the safe side. It is not an easy decision, that's for sure. Asking for Vodka Cranberry when you go to a bar while everyone else is downing beers - you get some funny stares haha.
I spent a lot of time reading what others had to say and the majority said to stick with clear drinks so I went with that approach without trying others. But you could always see what works for you by starting off slow with a different drink each time you go out.

Current meds:
Humira

Previous meds:
Prednisone, Budesonide, Lialda

Other:
Omega Red Fish Oil
Centrum Multivitamin
2000mg vitamin D
Gluten free and dairy free diet
No overly spicy food or acidic food or vegetables unless steamed - a boring, bland diet... where a will personally come out and ask if I am sure I don't want all the sides and sauce that make the dish good to begin with
12-11-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
EthanPSU

My Support Groups:
Drink, drink, drink, drink, drink, drink, drink, drink, drink, ... 'til you can't no more
12-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Personally I avoid too many carbonated beverages (though beers are my favorite, I drink a lot fewer now than I used to) as they cause lots of gassiness and bloating if not at the event then the next day for sure.

Clear alcohol seems to fare better with some crohn's patients though depending on the medication you are on you could have some major hangovers the next day from making your liver work so hard to both break down alcohol and your meds. If you absolutely must drink, try having a glass of alcohol followed by a glass of water and continue to do it in that order to keep your system hydrated.

Just be as responsible as you can and enjoy your birthday!
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

12-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
Tony_G

My Support Groups:
This thread doesn't appear active but does anyone else have a really high tolerance? I met another Crohnie that does. Maybe it's the poor absorption aspect of Crohn's or something immune related? I realized when I was drinking the same amount as my friends and they were all drunk but I wasn't even buzzed, and it happened every time.

I avoid beer cause of the bubbles and I just don't like wine. But I do enjoy whiskey and it's my go-to drink.

Anyway, just wondering if there are others who share this experience.
12-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
Bufford

My Support Groups:
I enjoy having a scotch in the evenings and it does not bother my system. I also take a glass of red wine with the evening meal, I find wine helps with my digestion, red more so than white.
I have to stay clear of beer, the carbonation and yeasts cause me grief. I also stay clear of sugary drinks and carbonated ones with soda.
Cheers!
12-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #11
erk

My Support Groups:
The last two times I had a beer my stomach inflated like a balloon so I'm avoiding it completely now, since then I've had mulled wine, red wine, and cider without getting the bloating.
02-02-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
ivan.fiedoruk

I enjoy having a scotch in the evenings and it does not bother my system.
Is it scotch better than beer for Crohn's? I mean, I understand that I should avoid alcohol but taking a small shot one day per week would make me feel nice

I love IPA and APA beer but for some reason I'm afraid to try it for now...
Prednisone 40 mg 1/morning
Mesalazine 3 morning, 2 night
Clonazepam 1/night

Soon: Remicade.
02-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
Bufford

My Support Groups:
Ivan, enjoy pour yourself a scotch and see how it affects your system. In moderation its relaxing effects help relax my body and system. I believe that with in moderation a drink has its place and can be of benefit. Like anything too much is not good.

I avoid carbonated drinks and beer as the gas causes discomfort, and the yeast or hops found in beer does not agree with me.