Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Constipation

12-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
cmoc

Constipation

Does anyone eat whole linseeds for constipation? Are they safe? I keep reading on here that seeds are not good, is that just after an operation and resection or is it generally not good for Crohn's.
I haven't got Crohn's but have had a small bowel resection.
I used to eat Linseeds every day to stay regular in a crunchy cereal.
Would that be safe to go back to now?
Thanks.
12-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
When was your surgery? If you're still on pain meds they can constipate. Let the doctor know.

Seeds can cause problems for people. I don't have issues with them but I also don't eat a lot of them. They are a problem for me when I've got strictures.

I just saw your other post. Surgery was 7 months ago. I don't know if these seeds will be safe. I NEVER have constipation issues lol. I'm always trying to slow things down.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
12-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I know I posted on your other thread also. Just a quick disclaimer: I may have got a few things wrong in this post - it's from information I've picked up reading online, speaking to doctors, etc., but hopefully is mostly accurate.

The issue I would have with linseeds would be the fibre. Seeds in general (like nuts, some fruit and veg, whole grains, etc.) can irritate inflamed areas of the digestive tract, such as the inflammation in Crohn's.

Since I got an ileostomy, I haven't had any nuts or seeds, as too much of this type of food can block an ileostomy. Some people with ileostomies can eat lots of insoluble fibre and other potential blockage-causing foods - it varies, but when I've tried introducing a bit more, I always find mine blocks extremely easily, so I have never tried nuts or seeds as they're among the worst foods for causing blockages. (But the form of foods makes a big difference, e.g. smooth peanut butter is fine, and there are some vegetables that I can eat if they are extremely well cooked but not if they haven't been cooked thoroughly. And the amount of fibre eaten over consecutive days usually matters more than the specific types of foods.)

I know people with strictures can have similar problems with foods causing blockages.

The reason for avoiding fibre or sticking to a "soft" diet after bowel surgery is I think due to the irritating effect that hard foods have on inflamed areas, but you're well past the stage where your intestine would have healed.

I think on your other thread you said you have had adhesions, and I have heard about adhesions causing bowel obstructions and requiring avoidance of certain foods in the same way that strictures do, but, if you still have adhesions, I've no idea whether your adhesions would have this kind of effect.

If your doctors don't see any reason for you to be on a specific diet, it's really just a matter of trial and error to figure out if seeds make your symptoms worse. But doctors often miss things, and if you're really worried, you can leave them out without having to greatly restrict your diet. However, if seeds do cause you problems, the other foods mentioned - nuts, some grains, fruits and vegetables - probably would too. This means that if you're eating these other foods without problems, it's unlikely linseeds are a problem for you, but if you try avoiding all of them, then your diet will become quite restricted, so make sure you don't start cutting things out unnecessarily.

Edit: This is assuming you're eating them as seeds, not linseed oil?

Last edited by UnXmas; 12-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.
12-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
cmoc

Thankyou for your reply Unxmas, do I take it from your username you don't like Xmas lol
I used to eat the whole linseeds in a crunch oat cereal and one or two dsp a day kept me regular before the op. I tried the ground fine linseed and got very bunged up! I tried the linseed oil, up to two tablesp a day and it did nothing.
I have just had to increase the laxido again up to 2 and half tsp and that seems to work along with Allbran and a lot of sprouts etc (cooked well). It is strange, because you can stick to more or less the same diet then all of a sudden get really constipated or the other way and haven't really changed much.
I wouldn't bother with any of it if I was, as you are, too regular, I don't mind what I cut out foodwise (years of migraine has got me used to that) but I need something to keep me regular, looks like I might be stuck on laxido all my life and it doesn't make your stomach feel that comfortable during the day.
I am, waiting on a letter from the hospital to see which part of the bowel they cut out, that might help. I will post again when I have more information.
Thanks again.
12-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope you hear from the hospital soon.The more intimate knowledge you have the better to move forward,in my opinion,CD or not.I have had a bowel resection,jejunum,but seem to be fine with nuts,veg.,etc..
12-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Thankyou for your reply Unxmas, do I take it from your username you don't like Xmas
Hi - yes, I don't like Christmas. When I joined the forum, I just wanted to ask a question about prednisone, and had no intention of staying, so just made it up really quickly. There was some dumb tv programme I was watching at the time and it was a Christmas episode, even though it wasn't actually Christmas, so I took the word, used the abbreviated version, then stuck an "un" in front of it to signify my Scrooge opinion of it. But I wish I'd picked something different now, especially something that signified my gender, as I've had a couple of people assume I'm male when I'm actually female, and a very feminine female!

It is strange, because you can stick to more or less the same diet then all of a sudden get really constipated or the other way and haven't really changed much.
I wouldn't bother with any of it if I was, as you are, too regular, I don't mind what I cut out foodwise (years of migraine has got me used to that) but I need something to keep me regular, looks like I might be stuck on laxido all my life and it doesn't make your stomach feel that comfortable during the day.
I am, waiting on a letter from the hospital to see which part of the bowel they cut out, that might help. I will post again when I have more information.
It's not that strange, it's just that we don't have as much control over our bodies as many people think we do. What we eat does not determine what digestive symptoms we get - we can have digestive symptoms that may not be affected by diet at all.

Learning what parts of your bowel were removed may help you understand what's going on. My problems always seem to deviate from what's expected: I had terrible diarrhoea before I had an ileostomy, but with the ileostomy I only have to empty the bag a few times a day, which implies a slow bowel transit time. But maybe you'll find your symptoms are more predictable, and learning about your surgery will help you identify the problem. You might want to discuss the problems you're having now with a doctor though, in case something else is going on.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Constipation