• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Your experience with abscess causing "dull" pain to "excrudiating pain"

What is your experiences with the time it took from you felt a "dull" pain till it becomes large and really painful?

How does the pain feel more exactly?

I have had a small tender firm swelling on the side of anus now for 4-5 days - which my physician says is "probably just a hemorrhoid". There is no change in colour and it's more a firm area than a nodule it seems.
The pain isn't unbearable - painkillers do their job well so far.

I was thinking perhaps anal abscesses develop over 1-2 days rather than 4-5 days from onset of dull pain to excrudiating pain?

Thanks

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Its been awhile since I had an anal abscess but still get them on a regular basis. It's usually a week to 10 days before it gets really bad. I think it also depends on the cause. If a fistula is the caused it may be quicker.

Sending you my support.

it is different for everyone. I have had one that never really hurt at all until it burst. Hot baths may help. Did you see a regular doc or a GI?