Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Question about refried beans

08-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
autumn_rose

Question about refried beans

So, as part of following a low fiber and residue diet, watching the insoluble fiber content of various foods is important. I know that the outer casing of things like beans, peas, and corn are insoluble fiber. Does anyone know if refried beans are high in insoluble fiber? Thanks!
Second loop ostomy September of 2013, reversed in September of 2014

In remission, no medications!
Now a personal trainer, studying physical training and nutrition, as well as self publishing books on health and wellness & hosting a Youtube channel.

Twitter: @Autumn_RoseB

http://www.amazon.com/author/autumn

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzv...LgZUnu75FUXf6A
08-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
D Bergy

I think a good portion of Lard is added to refried beans. Under cooked Beans have a substance in them (can't remember what) that is not good for us to eat. That would not be a problem for refried beans but just a general "Bean" warning.

Dan
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
autumn_rose

Thanks, you guys I knew about the sometimes added fat of refried beans, so if I decide to give 'em a try, I'll get the fat free variety
09-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Joe

I definatly have less issues with refried beans over regular pinto beans, probably as it's been soaked/cooked in a pot and then mashed up and cooked yet again that the skins been weakened quite a lot....

Been awhile since I did some home made refriend beans, and now im drooling. darnit.

AH! FLARE UP! FLARE UP! WHERES THE BATHROOM?!? WHERES THE BATHROOM?!?!
09-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
crohnsproof

My Gastro Dr used to just shake his head at me. Any time I used to get the cramping, wtr D, I'd eat pinto beans. It calmed my gut every time. But, I live in the desert southwest and thrive on green chile, pinto beans, and flour tortillas. Yummy. Goes to show you that each gut is different. I can eat mexican food every meal and be happy.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Question about refried beans