Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran Photosensitivity

08-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Imuran Photosensitivity

Did you guys know that Imuran (azathioprine) makes your skin photosensitive? I found out the hard way. I have sunburn straight from hell, and don't remember reading that in the pharmacy paperwork obviously.

Not sure what other typical Crohn's meds do the same thing, but damn - read your handouts with your meds!
(Thanks you Kimmie for alerting me to this little item that I should have already known. Ugh... my frikin eyelids itch...)
08-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
autumn_rose

Hm, maybe that's why I get tons (and I mean TONS) of little itty-bitty blisters when I'm out in the sun? They don't hurt, though. They itch a little, but they're usually always gone by the next day. I went to see a doc about it, and they couldn't figure it out. O.o
Second loop ostomy September of 2013, reversed in September of 2014

In remission, no medications!
Now a personal trainer, studying physical training and nutrition, as well as self publishing books on health and wellness & hosting a Youtube channel.

Twitter: @Autumn_RoseB

http://www.amazon.com/author/autumn

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzv...LgZUnu75FUXf6A
09-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
kromom1

My Support Groups:
Hey MBH, I'm glad you mentioned that. I didn't know it either. I've noticed that since my Imuran was increased to 150 about 10 days ago, my sun-exposed skin areas seem to be really itchy and sometimes getting itty bitty bumps on them. I bet that is from the sun! Hope your sunburn feels better soon!

Diagnoses: Crohn's 8/07; steroid-induced diabetes 11/07; Remicade-induced Lupus 02/09, shingles 7/10, and hypothyroidism.
Medications: Entyvio, Methotrexate, prednisone, Protonix, Synthroid, fish oil, calcium, multivitamin, glimepiride. Failed Pentasa, Entocort, Humira, Imuran, 6-MP, Remicade, Tysabri, and LDN.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » Imuran Photosensitivity