Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Work makes me sick

12-10-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
Mondowicked

My Support Groups:
Work makes me sick

I just spent five months off of work, part medical leave and part unemployed, to get myself healthy and in remission. During this time I got myself off of the prednisone, and started doing really well by taking essential oils to detox. Then, I just kept getting better. I stopped my Cimzia. Still fine. I stopped my 6MP, did great. I even started eating vegetables and fresh cooked beans! Without pain, I might add. That toxic feeling that the medicines gave me cleared up over time. I even had regular formed stools, oh my! Completely off of prescription drugs, except for the occasional pain medication, I realized I needed a job to not run out of money...

Now, I'm sick again. Today marks my 90 days at the company, and I feel like crap, literally and figuratively. After a test next week they are going to offer me a contract. I don't think I can take it. I upped my hours slowly and gently over these three months to ease myself into working. Now, I realize I can work full time. Even part time, I think is too much. I'm enjoying my new job. It's way less stress than teaching, but I just don't think I can do it. I feel like I'm letting everyone down...the company, my parents, those responsible for helping me get my Master's degree. I don't even know how to safely bring it up to my boss, who is in a different city.

I don't know what to do. My doctor said she doesn't believe in Disability, and that I won't get it especially since I'm a "healthy" weight and haven't needed surgery. Not to mention I'm currently "working". She doesn't care that 11+ hours of sleep a night is average, and that I have no life outside of my job when this happens. It's a vicious cycle of working more, resting less, getting sicker, not having energy (to cook), not eating right, which makes it worse, start the cycle over. I was so proud if myself for getting off the pharmacy drugs and starting a healthy life. Now, I feel it was all just to tease me.
12-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Sorry for the delayed response, just saw this.....

Many people, myself included, have gone through periods of remission and have been able to be off all medications for a while. The sad part is, through, that the remission is just that, and eventually ends. It sounds like you probably need to see your GI and get started on some type of medication again. Remember too, that even if you are feeling well, there could be unseen damage being done. The good thing about medications is that if you do have an adverse effect, once you stop the medication usually the side effects go away....with silent disease and flares, you could be doing permanent damage.

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
12-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
CrohnieRN

Hello, I am just going to say that it is a matter of choice, yes, doing what health care providers say is a good idea, I listened for the last 8 years, have tried medications from all categories, and truth be told, the side effects did not go away, long term use of Asacol has caused kidney failure, prednisone has caused hypertension, migraines, joint swelling, obesity, osteopenia, and gestational diabetes which led to my daughter being born a month early and now she has issues from that. I developed allergic reactions to Humira, so I am running out of options when it comes to medications. I think that every Crohns person has to figure out what works for them, but be self informed, do research on any and all medication you are prescribed, sometimes the side effects are permanent and more damaging that just having the Crohns itself.
01-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had a resection five years ago. Commuting slowed down the healing so I am living on retirement.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
01-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
RNGirl

My Support Groups:
Relatively new to this forum and to crohns (diagnosed last February at age 58).
You need to listen to your body and be your own best advocate. Doctors often don't have time to tease out your individual needs and prefer to prescribe tons of meds to mask the symptoms and get you out of their hair. I was given Entocort and Pentasa immediately after diagnosis. My inner self told me to slow down and do my homework regarding the treatment, but I was so overwhelmed with my new diagnosis I just trusted their recommendations. I found out months later that my very mild crohns damage to my terminal ileum had not changed at all in 3 years. Long story short, I had a horrible reaction to Pentasa (salicylate overdose) that has left me wrecked with food intolerances, ringing in my ears etc. I took myself off both meds and follow the Paleo diet now. This is not for everyone of course, but if I had to do over again, I would listen to my instincts and question more. Sometimes the treatment is more damaging than the disease. Good luck to you, I know this is very hard!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Work makes me sick