• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long did it take for 6mp/Aza to work for you ?

How long did take for 6mp/Aza to kick-in for you ?

• 1 month

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 months

• 4 months

• 5 months

• 6 months

• never

• Total voters
They always say that it takes time for those drugs to take effect, since it has to "build itself" inside the body. I did hear 3 months period as a rule of thumb, but I did notice that as everything with Crohns this is also different from one to another.

So assuming you are or have been treated with 6mp/Aza - how long did it take to kick-in ?

theOcean

It does say that 6mp/Azathioprine takes three months to reach therapeutic levels, yes. It still took around that time for me.

Are you on any other medication? If you're in flare and you feel it's urgent, you might want to ask your GI about a short course of prednisone in the meantime.

Hi theOcean,

Thanks for the prompt relply. Actaully I am going to start 6mp after being on different doses of pred. for too long...
Wish me luck ! I am sort of anxious :(
[however realizing that if it spares the steroids it is worthwhile]

theOcean

Oh no! I'm sorry you had to deal with it for so long... prednisone is such an awful medication. :(

6mp is absolutely worthwhile. I'm on a combination of Humira and 6mp, but they keep me in remission really effectively! So I hope it kicks in quickly for you. If you have any questions about either 6mp or Azathioprine, I can answer those, too, since I've been on them both!

I was at 3 months when my GI said it was working as much as it ever would. Some say 4 months but if you aren't feeling any different by month 3 I would say that's it.