Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Constipation Support Group

01-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #61
Fraz

My Support Groups:
I am looking for some advice. I have abdominal pain as well as C and D with a lot of mucus. I am going over 10x a day but it is a lot of straining followed by soft stool, D and mucus. I've had small bowel obstruction and this doesn't seem like one. Is there anything to resolve this?
01-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #62
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sorry for the other post about LOW-FODMAP. I just looked up further on the thread and some of you had replied. I have started it again, hoping it will end my troubles, but to no avail. There's a lot of research that it can help both C and D, but so far, nothing. In fact, I feel worse than ever. Pain while I'm eating and just general feeling of rubbish. I've started taking multivitamins now to try and see if I'm low on something. I guess I've only done this for 4 days and I'm probably trying to see if I'll recover, but we'll see.

As somebody said about the genetics, you're right. But I guess I'm just trying to see if this will fit me this time. I am being very militant about it this time. However, I do believe I need to cut the caffeine right back.
Kellehbeans, when I was first diagnosed I was doing at least two cups of coffee a day. It tore my stomach up.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
01-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #63
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am looking for some advice. I have abdominal pain as well as C and D with a lot of mucus. I am going over 10x a day but it is a lot of straining followed by soft stool, D and mucus. I've had small bowel obstruction and this doesn't seem like one. Is there anything to resolve this?
Fraz, is your doctor saying anything about this?

01-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #64
DanaBanana

My Support Groups:
I'd be making an appt with my gi dr or going to the ER. Better safe than sorry! It's been drilled into my head that I do one of those two things if I have any changes regarding pain or bowel changes. Hugssss
01-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #65
Fraz

My Support Groups:
Fraz, is your doctor saying anything about this?
I see my GI in March! What's another month!
01-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #66
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
If it gets really bad then he to ER

02-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #67
kellehbeans

My Support Groups:
Kellehbeans, when I was first diagnosed I was doing at least two cups of coffee a day. It tore my stomach up.

I've been doing 2 cups recently as I just feel I need it to start my day, and it probably doesn't help. How did you give it up, because they say it can cause constipation? Although my doctor told me to have 1 to try and ease it - but to no avail!

02-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #68
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I did praying. Also, the cramps got so bad, I said it wasn't worth it.

02-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #69
kellehbeans

My Support Groups:
Argh. Gonna be tough I reckon. I don't find it helps pass anything anyway, but I'm terrified that if I stop the coffee, I don't get any BM's at all. We shall see. The weekend will probably be my best way to kick the habit. Either way, I'm now on 2 sachets of Laxido a day, as my body is just not resolving itself

03-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #70
Bufford

My Support Groups:
I came across this support group today. I go through episodes of constipation, today is a bad day, I look at the potty and can only wish. It will be time for the bicadoyl. Whyd did the font change, sorry. Will log off and restart pc.
03-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #71
Bufford

My Support Groups:
Well, I restarted the computer, visited the outhouse for a tiny amount in my colostomy bag and the font is fixed. Frustrating beyond belief. Maybe time for me to go over to Vent about computers.
03-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #72
Lizzie

My Support Groups:
I've been getting constipation since I went on steroids a few months ago. Although it's a nuisance, it's been a welcome relief from the daily diarrhoea and incontinence (only happening once a week or so now). I think eating sweet potato helps with the constipation a bit - I can't tolerate many vegetables at all but sweet potato seems to be easy on the digestion.
04-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #73
Cherry04

My Support Groups:
Feeling slightly worried right now as I'm in the middle of an EEN diet and it appears my symptoms have returned - had to be a Saturday! Back in August I took Movicol to stop my constipation. Since yesterday I've been getting rectal bleeding with mucus and my constipation returned for the first time in months this morning. Feeling so tired!
05-10-2016, 01:31 AM   #74
Ann Morgan
My UC symptoms have been diarrhea for years. Then a month ago I started getting terrible constipation. I would push so hard. My hemorrhoids were so uncomfortable. I had dry heaves one morning so bad that I was almost choaking. I went to the ER and they gave me fluids, Zophran and Morphine. While I was there I had a huge, watery BM. So, when I left the ER I felt fantastic :-). But then a couple of days later I was pushing again and had a lot of rectal blood. Seeing all that blood scared me I went back to the ER and got fluids and Zophran and Bentyl. I had a good BM while there again. I saw my Gastroenterologist last Friday and he recommended Miralax. I am going to keep a food diary now to keep track of what I eat and how my bowels react......diarrhea/constipation/dry heaves/reflux/bloating/colon pain/stomach pain. I am not going to take the Miralax every day.
05-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #75
Kevin_61

My Support Groups:
I too suffer from chronic constipation and some days are pure hell!
Prune juice (sometimes nuke it in the microwave ) Other juice, sometimes when I can afford it Miralax, and I know I have Over did it with good ol Milk of Mag! Also hot tea,plenty of water, Soon be six yrs ago I had horrible constipation and drank way too much water and got admitted to our nearby hospital for low-Sodium-level!
Due to over drinking water!
Anyhow today is my first full day of using Pentasa.
05-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #76
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I too suffer from chronic constipation and some days are pure hell!
Prune juice (sometimes nuke it in the microwave ) Other juice, sometimes when I can afford it Miralax, and I know I have Over did it with good ol Milk of Mag! Also hot tea,plenty of water, Soon be six yrs ago I had horrible constipation and drank way too much water and got admitted to our nearby hospital for low-Sodium-level!
Due to over drinking water!
Anyhow today is my first full day of using Pentasa.
Wishing you the best.

05-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #77
Lizzie

My Support Groups:
My GI told me to stop drinking tea, even decaf, and drink more water. I thought I drank loads of water in the form of tea, but taking her advice partially did help a bit. I can't give up my tea completely, but try to drink water after 7 pm at night. (Now I'm tapering off the steroids, though, constipation is less of an issue, back to the diarrhoea unfortunately.) I could never over-drink water, hate the stuff! How much water is too much?
05-13-2016, 09:25 PM   #78
patrick13
Banned

My Support Groups:
How long have you been taking Miralax, and how often? I find it loses effectiveness distressingly fast for me, and wonder what it's like for others.
gave me terrible diarrhea
05-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #79
Ann Morgan
I am having constipation now, instead of my normal diarrhea symptoms. Recently I kept track of my food intake and my bowel movements for 10 days and then quit tracking because it all just did not make sense. Terrible constipation one day and two days later watery diarrhea. Every time I take Miralax two days in row I seem to have watery diarrhea. So now I am going to try to take the Miralax every once in a while. I am constantly boated too. : - (
05-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #80
penny3

My Support Groups:
I am having constipation now, instead of my normal diarrhea symptoms. Recently I kept track of my food intake and my bowel movements for 10 days and then quit tracking because it all just did not make sense. Terrible constipation one day and two days later watery diarrhea. Every time I take Miralax two days in row I seem to have watery diarrhea. So now I am going to try to take the Miralax every once in a while. I am constantly boated too. : - (
I also have constipation. I think its because of adhesions/narrowing in certain areas. It feels so tense and tight, every time I eat it feels like theres a belt tightening around my belly. Miralax gives me diarrhea... I take magnesium and drink black tea, but it only works half the time (once every couple of days .. diarrhea.. like you said).
The thing is, I know that when I can't go in the morning that it's gonna be a bad day - because I'll have pain and be exhausted and grumpy. It's something that's pretty hard to explain to other people too...especially at work, I would never let someone know about it.
05-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #81
Kevin_61

My Support Groups:
I too sure know very well what constipation is like! I have it chronicly and I know I just mispelled that word! Ha!
I had a bad night last night and I know now I need to find a substitute for Milk of Mag! For me, I take a full dose say around 11:00 AM and it isn't until around maybe 2:00 am before it finally hit me!
I think a lot of it is just stuck Stool, and not complete constipation. I know I still have a partial blockage but the Dr doesn't think so.
I am now on Pentasa two 500 mg pills twice a day. (Big ones!)
I don't know for sure if it is helping me or not, but it isnt hurting me either.
I try and drink lots of water and I love my hot mint tea and some other kinds. I bought me a bottle of Miralax and I don't think it is really strong enough, or for me it makes my krap like thick mud! And that is horrible to pass!
I try and stay busy sonme with my computers and working on them and also when the weather is good to go out and fly my quadcopters! (Drones) Also I was building a few models. I take care of My Mom who just turned 88 and she and I like lots of tv together and e go see the same Dr. Irritable bowel and Prolapse and now Crohn's. I see my Dr again in about a week and a half June 7th.
I will also hopefully find out if my insurance is going to flip the $ for the Pentasa! I hope everyone is doing good and feeling good today!
05-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #82
RunnerGirl

I used to have diarrhea, but a couple of years ago it changed to chronic constipation. Dr. Says my colon/gut just got too sick and tired to be able to do its job properly.

My constipation got so bad that the only thing that would make me have a bm was to do a bowel prep (cleansing you do before a colonoscopy) once a week as prescribed by my GI. So I would only have 1 bm per week. Awful!

Then my doctor prescribed me Linzess 290mcg daily. It causes a pain free bm (or 4) starting a couple hours after taking it. But now my colon and small intestine doesn't constantly have huge amounts of feces in it causing pain. This med has brought me the most pain relief out of everything, including the Remicade!

Last edited by RunnerGirl; 05-27-2016 at 11:14 PM.
06-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #83
Ann Morgan
Runner Girl : I am so happy for you that you have found some relief for your pain ! I had diarrhea for years. Then a short time of constipation in 2014. Then back to diarrhea in 2015. Now, as of April 2016, back to constipation. I only had one BM today, at 8pm. Now I am terribly bloated. I do not care much for that Miralax. Everyone have a good weekend. : - )
06-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #84
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Runner Girl : I am so happy for you that you have found some relief for your pain ! I had diarrhea for years. Then a short time of constipation in 2014. Then back to diarrhea in 2015. Now, as of April 2016, back to constipation. I only had one BM today, at 8pm. Now I am terribly bloated. I do not care much for that Miralax. Everyone have a good weekend. : - )
You too

08-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #85
Cenedra

My Support Groups:
Guys, I'm going mental.. After being passed about like a parcel at a birthday party and two failed attempts (the hospital forgot I have a latex allergy) I finally have my colonoscopy tomorrow..One problem..

The laxatives aren't working..

Two lots of picolax, moviprep and what feels like a lifetime of clear fluids and still no poop..

I followed directions to the letter.. Anyone any suggestions?? I cannot wait another month for an Oscopy.. Should I go get myself some over the counters from late night chemist?! At this rate I'm ready to stick a hose pipe up there (don't worry I'm not that idiotic.. Just desperate!!)
08-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #86
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Does your doctor have someone on call? If so, I would call them

08-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #87
Cenedra

My Support Groups:
Unfortunately no number to call, I've spoken to the NHS helpline.. The doctor was meant to call me with 2hrs, we are now on hour 3!
Looks like I'm not having my oscopy =\
08-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #88
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Unfortunately no number to call, I've spoken to the NHS helpline.. The doctor was meant to call me with 2hrs, we are now on hour 3!
Looks like I'm not having my oscopy =\
I am sorry
08-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #89
Ann Morgan
I have been suffering from constipation for 5 months now. I went to the ER once in April for the worst dry heaves I have ever experienced, I was almost choaking. I visited the ER again in May when I panicked after having a very painful BM which resulted in a toilet full of blood. Then one more trip to the ER in June for real bad stomach pain and then vomiting. I had a blood test, a urine test, CT scan with contrast of my abdomen and also an x-ray of my abdomen. Nothing bad showed up from these tests. All my Gastroenterologist can say about it is for me to take Miralax. I hate the Miralax because that can cause me diarrhea. If I have that kind of stomach pain again I want to get an Endoscopy, because it was not a stomach "ache" it is stomach "pain". Thanks for listening.
08-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #90
MissLeopard83

My Support Groups:
I have been suffering from constipation for 5 months now. I went to the ER once in April for the worst dry heaves I have ever experienced, I was almost choaking. I visited the ER again in May when I panicked after having a very painful BM which resulted in a toilet full of blood. Then one more trip to the ER in June for real bad stomach pain and then vomiting. I had a blood test, a urine test, CT scan with contrast of my abdomen and also an x-ray of my abdomen. Nothing bad showed up from these tests. All my Gastroenterologist can say about it is for me to take Miralax. I hate the Miralax because that can cause me diarrhea. If I have that kind of stomach pain again I want to get an Endoscopy, because it was not a stomach "ache" it is stomach "pain". Thanks for listening.
From what I understand, it sounds like your pain could be from gastroparesis. I think an endoscopy is a good idea to make sure you do not have stomach ulcers or inflammation, but I would also check into getting a gastric emptying study where you eat a small meal and the amount of food in your stomach is measured over time. If you have a certain amount in your stomach after that period, it means your stomach isn't emptying like it should. Sometimes, the vagus nerve becomes damaged through GI disorders and/or diabetes. I think the usual treatment is Reglan which stimulates your stomach to encourage digestion.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Constipation Support Group