Share Facebook

12-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
crohnsconfused

Fistula and tailbone pain

I developed my first anal fistula about 4 months ago. I have immense tailbone pain making it difficult to sit at times. If i feel back I can feel a lump or bulge where it is sore. Has this happened to anyone else? What treated this?
12-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
They are awful. I had one many years ago. I eventually got my ileostomy and that took care of it.
Are you currently any biological meds (remicade or humira)? They work well on fistulas for some people.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
12-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
crohnsconfused

I'm currently on Lialda and omeprazole as I was just recently diagnosed. For the fistula I have taken flagyl and chipper. IV flagyl once. It has temporarily closed for a couple days with antibiotics but then opened with vengeance once again. There has been talk about remicade since I also suffer from Hidradenitis Suppurtiva. Have to wait until next colonoscopy in march to see if crohns has gotten worse.
12-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sorry you need to wait. A fistula usually means it's getting worse.
12-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
theOcean

My Support Groups:
A friend of mine with HS is on Remicade and it helped her immensely. I have fistulizing Crohn's and just went through this last week with pain while sitting (again) and had to go into the ER and get surgery. Please reach out to a doctor as soon as possible to see if you have an abscess/another fistula, or also consider going to your local ER since you're prone to this. You may need a seton placed to allow it to drain. Waiting until your colonoscopy may just allow it to get worse in the meantime.

I think you should definitely bring up the idea of going on Remicade soon.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
12-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
crohnsconfused

@ the ocean. Did you have lump? Did it end up bring an abscess? I'm wondering if it's part of the sinus tract
12-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #7
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I did, yes. It was still very small because I caught it so early, but doctors suspect it's probably communicating with another abscess/is part of my complex fistula. If that's the case, you really need to get something done before it gets worse. You can get dangerously sick.
12-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
crohnsconfused

I now have about 3-4 different lumps from my anus to tailbone. Primary doctor and colorectal surgeon are both not in today. Anyone have any ideas?
12-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
does your surgeon have an after hours call service? Mine does and when I am in your situation I call - leave a message and receive a return call from whichever surgeon is on call for the evening.

In the meantime if you pop a fever you should go to the ER.
01-01-2015, 02:50 AM   #10
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Having just done the same last week, you might even want to go to the ER before the fever starts to catch it early.
01-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
crohnsconfused

Went to the colorectal surgeon and he said that it was an infected abscess'. Partially drained one and presided flagyl and cipro.
01-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #12
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
did he check for fistula?
01-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
crohnsconfused

Have to go back the 14th. If it still isn't feeling better monday have to call the office and he wants to schedule pelvic MRI.