• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

White Blood Cell

Hi everyone

Hope you're all well and have had a lovely Christmas. I have recently been put on Humira and my WBC has risen form normal to 13 then to 16 then to 17 in the past 3 weeks I'm back at the doctor tomorrow for more bloods but I was wondering if anyone else had WBC increase during a flare? I don't think I normally present this way but I may be wrong.

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me

Trysha

Staff member
Your white cell count is suggestive of an infection somewhere and this is something you should
Talk over with your doctor.
Have you been getting any signs of fever?
I am sure your doctor will be able to help you
I am sorry to hear you are having a bad time and hope you will
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Thanks Trysha I don't have any normal signs of an infection yet no fever no cough no cold. I'm not sure if it's a nurse or a doctor they've booked me in with today as they called and said come for more bloods but I'm hoping it's a doctor so I can have a chat. Thanks again hopefully they'll either get to the bottom of it or it'll just go back down again.

Trysha

Staff member
Good luck Yvonne with your appointment today
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on
We are here for you
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha

Thanks Trysha it was the nurse I saw and she couldn't tell me anything other than my red blood cell count in the urine sample I handed in was 315. I'm having to wait until Monday when my IBD nurse is back in and I'll call her and see if she can help a bit more.

Thanks again

Trysha

Staff member
It would have been better if your doctor would have been there for you
It would be surprising to find only red cells present there's usually at least one or two white cells.
Also it is a bit unusual to be given a figure of 310 and on its own I would not know
How to intepret that finding
However the presence of red cells in such high numbers needs to be properly investigated.
I think I would be asking to see the doctor and find out why this is occurring and also to
ask about kidney function tests.
Has the urine been analysed for presence of bacteria?
This test is usually called culture and sensitivity.
It is a good thing to have the tests repeated
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha

Last edited:
Not sure what else they checked for as the nurse just turned the screen round and let me look at the results and that was one I spotted but it was all so quick I didn't see them all. Going to see the doctor on Thursday once the bloods I got repeated come back again.

Trysha

Staff member
It is really good that you will be seeing the doctor
You will be able to ask questions and hopefully get some answers to bring things into perspective
for you.
Be sure to ask about the significance of blood in urine and how it affects your bloodwork
It could lowere your hemoglobin among other considerations
Your main question of course is whether you are reacting to the humira,let's hope for the best here.
Hugs
Trysha

Will update once I've seen the doctor. I hope I'm not having a bad reaction to the Humira as they've said its the last treatment option for me as I've not tolerated anything else.
Thanks again for all your support.

Just back from the doctor and he says I have a urine infection so he's given me an antibiotic to take for 5 days and I need to hand another sample in once I've finished them to see if it's gone. Hopefully this will have me on the road to recovery and the Humira starts to do its job. I just want to be in remission now so fed up of feeling tired and sore.

Trysha

Staff member
It is good that your doctor has taken some action
Hope the antibiotic works quickly for you
Thank you for the feedback
Feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha