Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » White House Petition to Add IBD to Social Security Administration's Compassionate Allowance List

01-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
Polaris

My Support Groups:
White House Petition to Add IBD to Social Security Administration's Compassionate Allowance List

Please sign this petition for all of us having trouble getting approved for Social Security benefits.

More than 1.6 million Americans live everyday with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and indeterminate colitis, three chronic, incurable, and debilitating inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) that cause crippling abdominal pain, persistent diarrhea, rectal bleeding, fever, and weight loss, among other symptoms. IBD often prevents patients from working or attending school. Frequently, they end up hospitalized with life-threatening complications.

Every year, the Social Security Administration holds hearings to add illnesses to its Compassionate Allowance List (CAL). We urge the White House to require the SSA to convene a hearing to add IBD to this list in order to expedite the approval of benefits for patients living with these chronic, incurable, and debilitating digestive diseases.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...onate/hKmNg13f

Also please repost and/or ask family and friends to sign this important petition. Thank you!

Last edited by Polaris; 01-01-2015 at 03:48 PM.
01-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
wildbill_52280

Seems like a good thing. But I'm not sure i get it, it's already a condition that is recognized. what more would this achieve?

Well it seems maybe it would just make it easier to get disability http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallo..._faqs.htm#a0=6
01-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Polaris

My Support Groups:
Seems like a good thing. But I'm not sure i get it, it's already a condition that is recognized. what more would this achieve?

Well it seems maybe it would just make it easier to get disability http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallo..._faqs.htm#a0=6
Exactly, it would expedite applications (waiting weeks instead of months), and would increase your chance of being approved on the first try. Right now it can take years, several appeals, hearings, lawyers, and basically ending up with financial ruin before we're approved.
01-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
xmdmom

My Support Groups:
The compassionate allowance link says:
The Compassionate Allowances (CAL) initiative is a way to expedite the processing of SSDI and SSI disability claims for applicants whose medical conditions are so severe that their conditions obviously meet Social Security's definition of disability.

The conditions on the list are disorders in which everyone or almost everyone with these conditions is disabled. That's not the case for IBD so I don't think there is much of a chance for IBD to be added.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not against people with IBD getting disability.
01-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Polaris

My Support Groups:
The Compassionate Allowances (CAL) initiative is a way to expedite the processing of SSDI and SSI disability claims for applicants whose medical conditions are so severe that their conditions obviously meet Social Security's definition of disability.

The conditions on the list are disorders in which everyone or almost everyone with these conditions is disabled. That's not the case for IBD so I don't think there is much of a chance for IBD to be added.

I don't understand the negativity around this.. I think it would be an amazing thing for us if passed, given the horrible process we now face trying to get benefits. I guess I was wrong to post it, I apologize.

Last edited by Polaris; 01-01-2015 at 08:41 PM.
01-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
You weren't wrong to post it you don't have to apologize for doing so. It is a long shot, but its worth a try. If nothing else it brings IBD to the government's attention. If you don't want to sign the petition, then don't.
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
01-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
Polaris

My Support Groups:
You weren't wrong to post it you don't have to apologize for doing so. It is a long shot, but its worth a try. If nothing else it brings IBD to the government's attention. If you don't want to sign the petition, then don't.
Thank you.
01-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
The petition has increased by almost 600 signatures since I signed it yesterday
01-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
Polaris

My Support Groups:
I'm so glad, I've been checking it too. I just want to point out that I didn't create this petition, but heard about it and believe in it.
01-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Signing.
01-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #11
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I signed it just now. (there's a few at work that may sign it as well)

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
01-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Signed it. And I would not have known about it if it was not posted here. Thanks stellarjess!

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
01-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
poopaholic

My Support Groups:
Signed it, just waiting for email verification. Done

Last edited by poopaholic; 01-03-2015 at 10:08 PM.
01-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #14
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Signed
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
01-04-2015, 03:39 AM   #15
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I copied the info to the website of the petition & have already taken in 10 of them for people at work (and gave them all away) and sent an email to another who's interested as of 1/2/15 and 1/3/15.

Looks like I'll also be taking more of my copies in within the next few days!!!
01-04-2015, 04:33 AM   #16
Polaris

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone
01-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
wildbill_52280

just a thought, this section of the crohn's forum has low traffic, it could benefit us all to repost this in a higher traffic section in the hope to obtain more signatures.
01-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #18
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
You're right wildbill. I've moved the thread to Support and copied it to Members Only as well. I signed it a couple days ago.

While it is possible to go into remission with IBD and not everyone is severely disabled, it can be an extremely disabling disease and many do need assistance not just financially to help pay for rent and bills but to also get help with medication costs and the ability to even see a doctor in the first place. Once you're considered disabled in the US you automatically qualify for Medicaid, government run free health care, which is what most of us need help with because they are chronic conditions with no known cure.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
01-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
Polaris

My Support Groups:
Thank you Jennifer
01-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #20
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Been keeping a watch on the petition site and it's a lot of fun to watch the signature amount going up along with the needed amount getting smaller. This is the first time I've done anything like this. So, it's a new thing for me!!!
01-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #21
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma

I'm not in the US, so not familiar with the system there, but it seems to me there's a massive flaw in the system if they prioritise certain conditions rather than any medical condition's effect on an individual. There must be a great number of conditions where many - even the majority - are fit to work most of the time but some really are not. Particularly mental illnesses like depression, social anxiety, OCD, etc. - or are mental illnesses assessed separately? And what about people (you see enough of them on this forum) who go years with no diagnosis? They have to wait longer to be assessed because they don't have a recognised condition, no matter how disabling their symptoms are? How is it The Powers That Be do not realise the most obvious things?!
01-06-2015, 03:33 AM   #22
Polaris

My Support Groups:
There's an article about this petition on Huffington Post today

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebecc...b_6404952.html
01-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #23
dlong4875

signed it and I hope it really goes through... having a chronic illness (incurable) disease and its not on the the list of SSDI and SSI disability claims.

Last edited by dlong4875; 01-07-2015 at 09:08 PM.
01-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #24
dlong4875

Last edited by dlong4875; 01-07-2015 at 09:10 PM.
01-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #25
dlong4875

who ever knows how, please make this a sticky thread so it doesn't fade away and stays on top
thanks
01-06-2015, 10:49 PM   #26
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
What we could do is have someone do a daily update on how many signatures there have been on this petition before they go to bed so we can see how things are going.

At this moment there are: 5,903 and 94,907 are needed.
01-06-2015, 11:07 PM   #27
Polaris

My Support Groups:
I just wish we could get this out to a bigger audience. I've had everyone I can possibly think of sign.
01-07-2015, 12:09 AM   #28
dlong4875

same here I put it on my FB and tempting to make a twitter just for it. I used as many good # hashtags i could think of.. people just are unaware. and tag all my good friends in the post so over 200+ of my friends saw it and hopefully shares and signs the petition.
01-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #29
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I just wish we could get this out to a bigger audience. I've had everyone I can possibly think of sign.
I know what you're talking about. I'm doing the best I can. But, 6,000 signatures in 6 days isn't a whole lot when we've only got 31 days. Wish we had a little longer...
01-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #30
dlong4875

ya come on give us more than 31 days to do it-meant to fail

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » White House Petition to Add IBD to Social Security Administration's Compassionate Allowance List