Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Grapefruit seed extract and Imuran

01-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
zagi256

Grapefruit seed extract and Imuran

I have problems with my bladder, so I thought I would take grapefruit seed extract to help me. But I read somewhere that I can't take with Imuran somewhere it says it's okay to take with Imuran and it's good for Crohn's disease. Can somebody tell me can I take it or not?
01-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I found this on webmd.com - http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...ame=GRAPEFRUIT
Medications changed by the liver (Cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) substrates) interacts with GRAPEFRUIT

Some medications are changed and broken down by the liver.

Grapefruit juice might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down some medications. Drinking grapefruit juice while taking some medications that are broken down by the liver can increase the effects and side effects of some medications. Before taking grapefruit, talk to your healthcare provider if you are taking any medications that are changed by the liver.

Some medications changed by the liver include lovastatin (Mevacor), ketoconazole (Nizoral), itraconazole (Sporanox), fexofenadine (Allegra), triazolam (Halcion), and many others.
I would recommend checking with a pharmacist and/or your doctor before taking anything with grapefruit....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
zagi256

Okay thank you

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Grapefruit seed extract and Imuran