Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Convatec mouldable pouches

01-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
Convatec mouldable pouches

Well I thought I was happy with the Coloplast Sensura, but today I've been trying Convatec's mouldable jobs, my gast is well and truly flabbered !.
I can't even feel I have it on, I'm just a bit leery of trusting it though, I've had such success with the Sensura leak wise.
Hopefully it will stay the course and remain leak free through the night.

The only bummer is the flange is bigger, which will put a spanner in the works re the Stealth Belt, I've been trying to phone them today, but the number given for calling from the UK seems to be wrong.
But if all else fails, I'm sure I can manage to adapt the hole in the belt, it appears to be made of cotton, so an easy fix hopefully.

Crohn's since 1988
Ileostomy since 12/12/14 and loving it.
Med free for now
01-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I really like convatec. From my experience it's best to try new products when you're off and can be home for 24 hours just in case.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
01-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
That's exactly what I've been doing today, my NHS provider was rather generous and sent me eight bags.

I'm still not allowed to drive after my op, so my friend is driving me into Perth tomorrow, not sure if I'll trust the new bags out and about.

How do the mouldable pouches fair in the shower ?.
01-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
Managed to get in touch with Stealth Belt via FB, and if it's not too late, they'll change my order
01-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm not using a moldable wafer; I need convex. Mine is fine in the shower but I use a washcloth on the front so water isn't pouring over the wafer.
01-07-2015, 05:05 AM   #6
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
No leaks overnight
Taking it off was a bit of a struggle though, damn but that wafer sticks !.
01-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Excellent.

I get 5 days out of my appliance.
01-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
Still loving these pouches, but they really need to redesign the spout, maybe it's just me not getting the hang of them yet, but I find them a lot muckier to empty than the other two bags I've tried.
Also the wafer bit sticks to my skin like superglue !.
01-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Are you using a skin prep or barrier wipe? If you can avoid it, do it.
How many days do you get between changes?
What type of closure does the bad have?

I find Velcro messy...many like Velcro. Check into different bags for that wafer.
01-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
I change daily, which is what my stoma nurse advised, I know folks do go longer but I'm happy with every day, thank you NHS !

I have been using a barrier spray I got for free, its a Pelican one with added vit E, I'm wondering though if that's not making the sticky bit stick even more ?.

Yes it is velcro, plus folding it over and over, the messy bit is where the rigid plastic bits are at the opening, there's also a little bit of overhang of the bag material, and it's awkward to clean, always end up getting stuff on my fingers.
I'm wondering about cutting it off and see how that goes, I don't think it will leak without it, as it's otherwise, a very robust, secure closure.
01-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
If you'rehappy with daily changes the stick to it. Barrier spray increases adhesion; try it without. I personally prefer a pouch clip to close the pouch. You could try closing with a clip only. Or cut it and see how it goes.
01-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #12
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I think I'll try without the spray, I don't really need it as my skins fine, but my supply company sent me a full sized can for free, so of course I just HAD to use it lol.
01-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Adhesive removers will help you unstick things - but make sure you get all the adhesive remover off your skin before putting the next bag on! Also, I'm sure they're not supposed to have this effect, but I've found skin powders prevent bags sticking well, which you may be able to use to counteract over-stickiness.

I'm not sure quite which bit you're thinking of cutting off the bag. Apart from my experiments with closed bags, I've always used bags where you fold the outlet over a few times and then there's velcro on the last fold, so I assume I'm using the same or very similar to you regarding the outlet. I usually use a wipe to clean as far into the outlet as I can get it after emptying, which works, though I've found how easy it is to clean varies a lot depending on the consistency of the output. I did try a little spray bottle that was supposed to squirt water into the bag outlet to clean it, but it was useless when I tried.

When I was in hospital and too ill/unable to empty my bag myself, some of the nurses seemed not to care at all about getting the outlet clean - as long as the mess was inside the velcro, they seemed to think a bit of stoma output inside the folded-over bits was fine. And no, I'm not telling you this to say that if nurses do it, it can't be unhygienic: I think that having abnormal ideas about hygiene is necessary in order to be a nurse, how else would they be able to do the things they have to do?! It annoyed me a lot and I kept having to ask them to wipe it properly.

I've been trialling a few different types of bags from ordering samples, and when I next need to order bags, I'm going to get maxi ones so I can get away with emptying even less often than I do now, I'm hoping to be able to change my bag once a day and never empty, which I'm close to being able to do already. I really do find it quicker and easier to change a bag than empty it.
01-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #14
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
The spout bit does fold over and over and then velcro shut, but at the very end, there are two thicker plastic lips, which the other bags I've used have had in one way or another, but these ones have a tiny little overhang of the bag material.
Normally I use wet wipes to clean the end, and poke the wipe up the hole so there's no ooze, but because the end bit is so flappy, I can't get the damned thing open to poke the wipe up, and then either get gunk on my fingers, or have a bit of ooze.
I know what you mean about the nurses, they don't give two hoots, just as well really, wouldn't be very good if they got the dry heaves
I think I just need a bit more practise.
01-22-2015, 04:50 AM   #15
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
Just an update on these bags.
Got my first order of them on Tuesday, after a wee hiccup where my GP thought they were private prescription in Fife, turns out it was just the surgery data base wasn't up to date .
Thanks to VeganOstomy's web site, I solved the emptying glitch by creasing the plastic closures, now it opens no bother
01-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #16
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
Update of update.
Well, turns out the pouches were private prescription, but my stoma nurse spoke to Convatec, and they have agreed to give me pouches for free !.
Dashed nice of them I thought.
01-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Excellent.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Convatec mouldable pouches