Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » My BM's haven't looked this good since I can remember...

01-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
My BM's haven't looked this good since I can remember...

My coworker who has celiac introduced me to Sushi a few weeks back. I've been eating a ton of salmon rolls and california rolls w/ salmon the past couple weeks. I can't remember the last time my poop has looked this good. It literally comes out like a log, perfectly, and sinks to the bottom. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw it look so perfect.
01-14-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I can't think of why except rice is binding and maybe the seaweed is too.
01-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
I can't think of why except rice is binding and maybe the seaweed is too.
Yea, I have no idea maybe I'm the only one.
01-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Well whatever it is, glad you're doing well
01-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
wildbill_52280

hopefully a soft log, its supposed to be soft, and not like a hard log stool that is too firm is not healthy. But yes sinking is healthy floating can mean fat malabsorption.
01-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
wildbill_52280

maybe its the soy sauce! its a fermented food. The omega 3 fat's dha and epa could help as well hey are anti-inflammatory!
01-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
It's a definite soft log. Only problem now is I'm getting sick of eating the same thing everyday!
01-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
Could you ever get sick of eating sushi? Way better deal than enteral nutrition! If it starts getting expensive it is fun to make it at home too and you could try varying the ingredients in the rolls to see what sets you off. It might be a great experiment.

Anyway, I'm happy it is working for you!
01-19-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
Basmah

My Support Groups:
Could you ever get sick of eating sushi? Way better deal than enteral nutrition! If it starts getting expensive it is fun to make it at home too and you could try varying the ingredients in the rolls to see what sets you off. It might be a great experiment.

Anyway, I'm happy it is working for you!
I think Pilgrim is on to something. Also, Maybe you can somehow incorporate sushi ingredients into lettuce or seaweed wraps.

Mmmmm, I miss sushi.
01-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
DJBHeat

My Support Groups:
Not a fan of sushi but might have to give this a try lol
01-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
The sushi has to have salmon in it. It can't be the really fatty kind like the spicy tuna rolls. The tuna most sushi places use is just the fattiest part of the fish. When I was eating this sushi my BM's were floating and I could feel it after I ate them.

I really think it's just the sticky sushi rice and seeweed that just binds everything together.

I also avoid all dairy products and try to do GFree the best that I can and also avoid red meat. My diet has been pretty limited lately though to just salmond rolls, California rolls with salmon and chicken tacos using corn tortillas at night.

My appetite isn't where I want it to be, nor is my weight. That's about all I can complain about. But I can't lie my BM's have not looked this good in a long, long time.
01-22-2015, 03:10 AM   #12
wildbill_52280

The sushi has to have salmon in it. It can't be the really fatty kind like the spicy tuna rolls. The tuna most sushi places use is just the fattiest part of the fish. When I was eating this sushi my BM's were floating and I could feel it after I ate them.

I really think it's just the sticky sushi rice and seeweed that just binds everything together.

I also avoid all dairy products and try to do GFree the best that I can and also avoid red meat. My diet has been pretty limited lately though to just salmond rolls, California rolls with salmon and chicken tacos using corn tortillas at night.

My appetite isn't where I want it to be, nor is my weight. That's about all I can complain about. But I can't lie my BM's have not looked this good in a long, long time.
I'd like to hear everything you are eating, if you don't mind!
Very often people give testimonies and you find out they actually changed 20 variables and cherry picked the variable they think is helping them only to find out it was something else. Or they don't even report some variable that they think is important, like maybe its the sake or something, or soy sauce.

for example, maybe you have removed dairy at the same time you started sushi, and actually you are experiancing benefits from lactose free diet and it has nothing or little to do with the sushi. This is why most testimonys are so unreliable.
01-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
I'd like to hear everything you are eating, if you don't mind!
Very often people give testimonies and you find out they actually changed 20 variables and cherry picked the variable they think is helping them only to find out it was something else. Or they don't even report some variable that they think is important, like maybe its the sake or something, or soy sauce.

for example, maybe you have removed dairy at the same time you started sushi, and actually you are experiancing benefits from lactose free diet and it has nothing or little to do with the sushi. This is why most testimonys are so unreliable.
There are a lot of factors involved. I removed dairy from my diet about a year ago. I've been tinkering with my diet over the past year and a half. BM's have slowly gotten better over time, seems like whenever I make a change in my diet. Remove dairy, slight improvement. No red meat, slight improvement. I've been on the same medication for the past 15 years. I also take mesalamine enemas once every now and again.

No dairy, no red meat, no eggs. And I've been experimenting with gluten free lately too.

current diet is literally what I typed out in the post above. Just lots of sushi, I get like 4 salmon rolls and a california roll with salmon for lunch. I also use soy sauce and kimchi sauce with my sushi. And I have like 6 corn tortillas with chicken and onions and hot sauce for dinner. Sometimes for breakfast I'll have a can of spinach. If I eat any really fatty sushi like spicy tuna rolls I just feel toxic. Then I go to the bathroom and everything floats.

I've been trying to branch out here and there but my stomach is very picky. For example I tried oatmeal for awhile but found out it was making my stomach churn and my BM's looked terrible when I ate that stuff. So I'm not really sure about the gluten free route. And even though my BM's look very good I'm still not fixed. My weight is pretty down (generously 140 lbs @ 5'll) and I lose my appetite for the last 2 weeks of my remicade (even though it still looks good when I go to the bathroom if I continue to eat what I'm eating right now). I have a really good appetite for the first two weeks after my remicade but after that I lose it. This is why I can't put on weight. But in terms of BM's, this is the best they've ever been. I was literally face down staring at them a week ago. I couldn't believe they looked so normal. A year and a half ago it was a monstrosity, now it's like they are completely normal if I continue to eat the way I'm eating.

sorry for the long post, it was a bit of a rant but those are the details.
01-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #14
wildbill_52280

There are a lot of factors involved. I removed dairy from my diet about a year ago. I've been tinkering with my diet over the past year and a half. BM's have slowly gotten better over time, seems like whenever I make a change in my diet. Remove dairy, slight improvement. No red meat, slight improvement. I've been on the same medication for the past 15 years. I also take mesalamine enemas once every now and again.

No dairy, no red meat, no eggs. And I've been experimenting with gluten free lately too.

current diet is literally what I typed out in the post above. Just lots of sushi, I get like 4 salmon rolls and a california roll with salmon for lunch. I also use soy sauce and kimchi sauce with my sushi. And I have like 6 corn tortillas with chicken and onions and hot sauce for dinner. Sometimes for breakfast I'll have a can of spinach. If I eat any really fatty sushi like spicy tuna rolls I just feel toxic. Then I go to the bathroom and everything floats.

I've been trying to branch out here and there but my stomach is very picky. For example I tried oatmeal for awhile but found out it was making my stomach churn and my BM's looked terrible when I ate that stuff. So I'm not really sure about the gluten free route. And even though my BM's look very good I'm still not fixed. My weight is pretty down (generously 140 lbs @ 5'll) and I lose my appetite for the last 2 weeks of my remicade (even though it still looks good when I go to the bathroom if I continue to eat what I'm eating right now). I have a really good appetite for the first two weeks after my remicade but after that I lose it. This is why I can't put on weight. But in terms of BM's, this is the best they've ever been. I was literally face down staring at them a week ago. I couldn't believe they looked so normal. A year and a half ago it was a monstrosity, now it's like they are completely normal if I continue to eat the way I'm eating.

sorry for the long post, it was a bit of a rant but those are the details.
we always like to hear this stuff!! at least when it's related to finding out what is helping you. My disease experiance has been the reverse of yours, I refused meds and believed in the diet connection, but now i would consider meds. I take a small bit of lialda which barely does anything for bms, but makes me feel better and decreases some other disease symptoms.

by any chance was the oatmeal you ate consumed with refined sugar? that may be the reason it lead a to a decline. Otherwise oatmeal seems to agree with me i eat it plain well with salt and cinnamon, but no added sugar.

Thanks for giving more details, i tried to look up info on kimchi sauce and didnt find much, but i do know what kimchi is which i don't think is the same as the kimchi sauce you mentioned. kimchi the fermented vegetables yes but sauce im not sure what in that, cant find any info. I have experienced some improvement in stool appearance/health when eating spinach though so that could be another contributing variable, but it seems more likely now that your suspicians that the sushi could be a main contributer to your improved health.
01-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #15
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
we always like to hear this stuff!! at least when it's related to finding out what is helping you. My disease experiance has been the reverse of yours, I refused meds and believed in the diet connection, but now i would consider meds. I take a small bit of lialda which barely does anything for bms, but makes me feel better and decreases some other disease symptoms.
I've been there and done that. I've tried for a long time to get off remicade, but I can never completely get off of it. Last time I tried I was doing a paleo type diet and was I literally only ate spinach and steak for 2 months and I still ended up getting sick. I have an anal stricture that really tightens up after around 10 weeks no remicade and it's very painful when I go to the bathroom. During this time my BM's were absolutely terrible even right after my remicades.
by any chance was the oatmeal you ate consumed with refined sugar? that may be the reason it lead a to a decline. Otherwise oatmeal seems to agree with me i eat it plain well with salt and cinnamon, but no added sugar.
I may give the oatmeal another shot now that you mentioned it. It seemed like I did better when I ate the original oatmeal, which had no sweetener or sugar added, and it was just plain vs the maple brown sugar oatmeal which obviously had added sugar. They were both gluten free options so I figured they all had to be fine. I didn't really like the plain original because it just tasted so bland. But you're right it could've been the sugar.
Thanks for giving more details, i tried to look up info on kimchi sauce and didnt find much, but i do know what kimchi is which i don't think is the same as the kimchi sauce you mentioned. kimchi the fermented vegetables yes but sauce im not sure what in that, cant find any info. I have experienced some improvement in stool appearance/health when eating spinach though so that could be another contributing variable, but it seems more likely now that your suspicians that the sushi could be a main contributer to your improved health.
The kimchi sauce is basically just like a korean hot sauce I suppose. It usually comes with the spicy tuna rolls at sushi restaurants to dip your sushi in. It's really tasty, but I think some actually include mayo so I have to be careful.

Take care
01-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
So interesting!!
I originally would have put money on it being the Omegas from the salmon but I bet you're right after reading how carefully you've managed your diet.
Yay!
01-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #17
wildbill_52280

I've been there and done that. I've tried for a long time to get off remicade, but I can never completely get off of it. Last time I tried I was doing a paleo type diet and was I literally only ate spinach and steak for 2 months and I still ended up getting sick. I have an anal stricture that really tightens up after around 10 weeks no remicade and it's very painful when I go to the bathroom. During this time my BM's were absolutely terrible even right after my remicades.

I may give the oatmeal another shot now that you mentioned it. It seemed like I did better when I ate the original oatmeal, which had no sweetener or sugar added, and it was just plain vs the maple brown sugar oatmeal which obviously had added sugar. They were both gluten free options so I figured they all had to be fine. I didn't really like the plain original because it just tasted so bland. But you're right it could've been the sugar.

The kimchi sauce is basically just like a korean hot sauce I suppose. It usually comes with the spicy tuna rolls at sushi restaurants to dip your sushi in. It's really tasty, but I think some actually include mayo so I have to be careful.

Take care
one more thing too add, i do not eat any meat. That may be another reason i haven't killed myself yet from taking little to no meds for six years. Also i have had no complications really, never had surgery, no blockages nothing else. just the most horrible fatigue and psychological symptoms(anxiety depression ADD.memory issues) and occasionally diarrhea when i stray from my super strict diet.
01-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #18
Basmah

My Support Groups:
I wonder just by what I am reading, if you would benefit from undergoing a Traditional Chinese Medicine approach. It comes from the idea that everything in life is balanced, and that includes food (i.e. "warm" and "cold"). You already seem like you're kind of doing it by combining the sushi and sauce, which is awesome if you're feeling great. Maybe seeing a professional who specializes in TCM could really help you out.
02-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
atomb

I too have experienced the sushi magic... I believe it is the salmon and that raw fish has enzymes that are not experienced in any other type of food along with kimchi which also is fermented. I dont do the kimchi but i down the sushi and try not to go too heavy wit thte rice as glucose is not the friend of the Fibroblast growth factor 19. For me this is my favorite food . I can eat a ton of salmon sashimi and i feel fantastic for a few hours.

I too am on a diet of no dairy little too no egg gluten free and various other disciplines low fat low sugar.

I have always had good bm s from sushi since i started eating it and its the only place i go out to eat at. I beleieve its the Omegas from the fish ...just my 2 cents. Cooked salmon never does the same thing for me.
02-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #20
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
Glad I'm not the only one!
02-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #21
wildbill_52280

I too have experienced the sushi magic... I believe it is the salmon and that raw fish has enzymes that are not experienced in any other type of food along with kimchi which also is fermented. I dont do the kimchi but i down the sushi and try not to go too heavy wit thte rice as glucose is not the friend of the Fibroblast growth factor 19. For me this is my favorite food . I can eat a ton of salmon sashimi and i feel fantastic for a few hours.

I too am on a diet of no dairy little too no egg gluten free and various other disciplines low fat low sugar.

I have always had good bm s from sushi since i started eating it and its the only place i go out to eat at. I beleieve its the Omegas from the fish ...just my 2 cents. Cooked salmon never does the same thing for me.
poppysocks was using kimchi sauce which is not traditional kimchi.
02-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #22
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
Still in process of trying to get into redhill map trial And I just recently received my bloodwork back.

My crp has been hovering around 4.6 for the past few years. It was 4.6 when I last had it done in August.

It was 0.15 when I got results back yesterday. My hemoglobin, hematocrit and rbc count have all normalized. Hgb went from 11.8 6 months ago to 13.8 yesterday. There was not one thing out of range on my blood work. Still can't believe it. Nothing has changed with my medications. I've been getting remicade for the last 15 years.

I had fecal cal done too to see if I'd qualify. I had it done 6 months ago and it was 1240. We'll see what it is now. Should have results by end if week.
02-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #23
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
That's all great news! And my happiest takeaway is that your bloodwork looks that good after being in Remicade that long!!
02-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #24
wildbill_52280

Still in process of trying to get into redhill map trial And I just recently received my bloodwork back.

My crp has been hovering around 4.6 for the past few years. It was 4.6 when I last had it done in August.

It was 0.15 when I got results back yesterday. My hemoglobin, hematocrit and rbc count have all normalized. Hgb went from 11.8 6 months ago to 13.8 yesterday. There was not one thing out of range on my blood work. Still can't believe it. Nothing has changed with my medications. I've been getting remicade for the last 15 years.

I had fecal cal done too to see if I'd qualify. I had it done 6 months ago and it was 1240. We'll see what it is now. Should have results by end if week.
sounds great! Just to be clear, are you suggesting the new diet regimen is responsible for these improvements?

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 02-25-2015 at 10:12 PM.
02-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #25
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
Yes, without a doubt. Because there is nothing else factoring into the equation.

Last edited by Poppysocks; 02-25-2015 at 08:10 PM.
02-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #26
yellowamc

My Support Groups:
I have found rice to be the magic food. For me its ussually with hamburger but i dont have any problems with red meat. After my 2nd surgery i started buying all of my meat both pork and beef farm raised by friends.
02-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #27
SmellyMelly

I can't remember the last time my poop has looked this good. It literally comes out like a log, perfectly, and sinks to the bottom. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw it look so perfect.
It is great when this happens isn't it. I just want to take a photo and proudly show everyone......have to constantly remind myself that absolutely NO-ONE would be interested, and indeed they may have me committed to a special hospital should I follow through on this idea

Two reasons why this could possibly be is helping is:

1) Seaweed and fish (especially red salmon used in sushi) are anti-inflammatories and omega-3's.

It has been proven that a diet high in omega-3's will help to lower inflammation. That is why fish oil is used to treat inflammation like C&UC and arthritis.

2) The rice would be classed as fibre and it would be helping to shape and push out your bowel movements

I have recently experienced exactly the same as you. But that was from having chia seed gel in my juice every day for the past three weeks.
02-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #28
SmellyMelly

My coworker introduced me to Sushi a few weeks back. I've been eating a ton of salmon rolls and california rolls

I tried making california rolls at home using the traditional mats - and it was a disaster.

Then I brought a Sushezi (http://www.sushezi.com) and was pumping them out left, right and centre.

At least with making your own you can control exactly what goes in them.
02-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #29
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
My fecal cal is still pretty high, based on the results I received back today. I think it would take a long time for something like that to go down, especially considering how long I've had this illness for. They did a colonoscopy 7 months ago and I had a stricture so bad at the time they couldn't even get a few inches up. I don't think it would matter what I eat it would take a while for that level of inflammation to go down.

But my bloodwork is still the best it's ever been
03-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #30
wildbill_52280

poppysocks, is this the hot sauce you were talking about?

http://www.americanfoodroots.com/wp-...-2-300x281.jpg

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » My BM's haven't looked this good since I can remember...