• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and psoriasis

I just started Humira after developing antibodies to Remicade. I have had two doses (the two loading doses) and I'm starting to get some psoriasis patches on my fingers. When I was on Remicade (I was only on it a few months) I started getting patches on my fingers and legs. My dad has psoriasis and has had it pretty severely before so I know it's in my genes.

So, trying to decide what to do. I've got fistulas that need to heal, but I don't want to just get another disease to deal with. I'm also nervous about the Humira anyone and noticing no difference so far. So, any of you out there who got psoriasis? Did you just keep going with the medicine and treat the psoriasis separately? Or did you stop? Did it get worse if you kept going? Any advice appreciated.

nogutsnoglory

I don't have the experience but certainly these drugs can both cause and treat psoriasis oddly enough. I think your diddle needs to know and make the call.

I know your query is a month old but I wanted to add my two cents-dd has crohns and I have psoriasis (we have both been on humira, which didn't help either of us). My psoriasis ranges from mild in the summer to moderate to severe in the winter, and sherr watching my daughter struggle with crohns colitis for four years, I'd rather have the crohns under control and deal with psoriasis. (Mine is resistant to treatment but responds to steroid cream and shampoo-it doesn't go away but is manageable). I guess it depends on perspective-I say psoriasis can affect your life but doesn't alter it much (yes, I wear certain clothes so the flakes don't show, use certain creams/soaps/detergents as I am sensitive, and have had skin tears due to the steroid use, and eat up the sun as it soothes the psoriasis), and dd(8) has said she would rather have crohns, because "it doesn't show".

Hi, anyone else having Excema issue after long term Humira use ?
I have been on Humira about 1.5 years now, and about 7 months ago my Dyshidrotic Eczema started. I went to a dermatioligist and they cant fix it at all. Dont get me wrong, I can live with it as my crohns is in remission from the humira. I was just wondering if anyone else was living with that side effect ?

Dx'd JAN ,3/2013
Meds: AZA, Lialdo .. almost no effect
LDN - 4 months - mild help,
Preg - 1 year on/off - good effect
humira 1.5 years - remission

wjm--I have been on Humira for 2 and 1/2 years for Crohns, and I have eczema all over too. The itch feels like it's deeper than just skin. My hands get scaly patches and the skin splits.

My GP and GI and two earlier dermatologists tried various moisturizers and healing lotions and none worked. A third dermatologists prescribed Atarax for overnight and an anti fungal cream (triamcinolone acetonide 0.1%) in a jar like Noxema. That combination seems to work.

Thanks Jack, I will tell my dermatologist next visit. One interesting development I have found that after 2000MG of Vitamin D after about 2 weeks has reduced the severity of my Eczema symptoms.

Tried the Atarax and Triamcinolone , it didnt work for me . I have tried everything. Finally my dermitologist suggested stopping Humira - LOL, told him I would rather my hands fall off.

Dx'd JAN ,3/2013
Meds: AZA, Lialdo .. almost no effect
LDN - 4 months - mild help,
Preg - 1 year on/off - good effect
humira 2.5 years - remission