Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Methotrexate and teenage girls

01-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Methotrexate and teenage girls

Hi all,
Since I know we have a number of girls who are on methotrexate I just wanted to bring this up. Your doctor should be discussing this with you as girls head into puberty but I am bringing it up just in case.
Methotrexate is an abortifacients. Meaning it causes miscarriages. Now I am not discussing any religious views on this drug. I am simply bringing it up so we can educate our girls that when they become sexually active they need to be on birth control while taking this drug and once they plan to start a family of their own they need to be taken off this drug as you cannot use it in pregnancy.
Hopefully most doctors will discuss this but you never know and it is important information to have. Also I heard that some GI's insist that all teen girls be on birth control before taking methotrexate but I think that is not necessary as long as our girls are educated and know that when the time comes they need to speak with us and let us know so we can take care of getting them on birth control at that time.

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
01-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
It also causes birth defects and some development issues. Our doc hasn't discussed it with us yet but O is 15 so I had "the talk" with her.

Doc also hasn't mentioned that alcohol and Mtx area huge no/no. I had that talk to!

T is only 11 but I guess I should at least have the alcohol talk with her.
Methotrexate (12.5mg wkly - oral)
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium
Folic Acid
Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohns
Methotrexate (15mg weekly oral)
Enteral Nutrition
Entocort
IBD-AID Diet
Vit d 1000IU
Calcium
Folic Acid
Previously used: Mtx injections
01-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Neither our GI nor rheumatologists have ever talked to either one of my daughters about that! I'm hoping my daughters won't have kids for a WHILE and hopefully by then there will be better drugs.

They did mention the alcohol thing (which I'm fairly certain my older daughter ignores, unfortunately).
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
01-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Pilgrim

My Support Groups:
When our GI talked with us about the MTX option, he actually mentioned it to me even though our daughter is 4. He said he never prescribes it until it is proven that the girl is on birth control pills if she is of child bearing age.

I wouldn't do it for that reason if she were older. Not bringing in various religious viewpoints but at the very least I would have a tough time forcing my daughter to be on hormone pills with their own side effects. So many drugs these kids have to take, OY!

But I definitely understand why parents would choose to do that, especially if the drug is working well for remission. Always a complicated set of variables.
01-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Pilgrim,
I have to agree about the hormones. I worry about those effects on our girls as well. That is why I don't think a doctor should say a girl must be on birth control however they or us must be frank with our daughters and let them know the potential harm if they become sexually active on it.
01-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Also teenage boys
Causes sterility or children with deformities .
Ds has been told from the beginning that it can cause issues for any babies ( just not all the details the first time around at age 8)
01-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Not specifically about MTX or pregnancy but related re these types of complications and the chance the GI doesn't mention it... (Keep in mind S was almost 17 when diagnosed...) When we were at an apptmt, with S in the room, I asked the GI to please explain any complications associated with sex, drugs and alcohol and having crohns. I insisted on leaving the room so that S felt he could speak freely. When we moved to the adult GI and S started remicade, I did the same thing. S rolled his eyes at me both times BUT didn't complain - I think he appreciated that the opportunity to ask questions privately had been 'forced' on him.

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
01-21-2015, 12:37 AM   #8
FrozenGirl

My Support Groups:
Tesscorm I am almost the same age as your son and I like the idea. even though I'm pretty open with my mom , don't do drugs and I'm am not planning sex in the near future, I do drink and for the future it is important to know. Even as an adult I sometimes find it hard to talk about in front of parents.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
01-25-2015, 03:48 AM   #9
DustyKat
Super Moderator

The kids old GI addressed IBD drugs and the issues Tess mentioned…sex, drugs, alcohol and pregnancy.

The new GI has also spoken with Matt about them too and yes, I left the room.

Dusty. xxx
01-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
T (11) got her first MTX injection yesterday at the peds office and since she has had her period since 9 they gave her a pregnancy test first. She was shocked. When the nurse left the room I said, "anything you want to tell me now?" T laughed and said, "you would have to let me out of your sight for more than 5 minutes"
01-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #11
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That is funny!
01-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
DanceMom
A was 9 when she was on MTX. When prescribing it the Rheumo gave her the full "no drugs/alcohol/sex" speech. She just nodded, probably only understanding about 1/4 of what he said because of his heavy accent. I was just thankful she didn't ask what "sex" was because we haven't had THE TALK yet! lol

Diagnoses: Immune Dysfunction, Hypogammaglobulinemia, Asthma, Allergies

Treatment: Privigen (IVIG), Flovent, Zyrtec, Cellcept
01-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
lenny

My Support Groups:
I have a teenage son, but no one told us anything about this!
01-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
Clash
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My son's GI went over this with C. Initially it was about the alcohol and mtx but at a later appt. he discussed sex and mtx and how it can affect both sexes. It seems something about fertility was mentioned as well but it was so far back I can't remember now.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Methotrexate and teenage girls