Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Men's swimwear for competition

01-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Minionaire

My Support Groups:
Men's swimwear for competition

Hi Folks, I've had my ileostomy for nearly 2 years now and I'm so keen to get back to the sport I loved - swimming.

I have found a great solution for open-water swimming which involves a stoma guard belt underneath my wetsuit. This works really well because everything is snuggly held by the neoprene suit (in fact you can hardly notice the guard plate)

But I'm now looking for swimwear for indoor swimming i.e. not the full wetsuit. All I can think of is cutting up an old wet-suit above the knees on the legs and somewhere below the shoulders to cover the abdomen, but not sure how this would work.

I have high waisted shorts which are fine for bobbing around in the pool, but I'm looking for something better for indoor competition swims.

Has anyone ever seen such a product for men?

Dx - Crohn's colitis, 2005

Pan-proctocolectomy and end ileostomy surgery. Alf the stoma born 23rd Feb 2013.

Re-Dx - Ulcerative Colitis, Mar 2013 (Post surgery pathology on my removed colon concluded my "Crohn's" was actually UC!).

My surgery blog: http://davesbelly.blogspot.com
01-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I found this....

http://www.whiterosecollection.com/a..._Swimwear.html

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Any surfer long bathing suit should be high enough to cover you up. Ostomy Secrets makes nice designer swimwear for ostomates. Also check out stealth belt they are good for sports.
01-22-2015, 04:39 AM   #4
Grotbags

My Support Groups:
I was going to suggest Stealth Belt too, playing water sports and swimming seems to be a big selling point for it.

Crohn's since 1988
Ileostomy since 12/12/14 and loving it.
Med free for now
01-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
Catherine

My Support Groups:
This is where it gets tricky. How competitive do you mean? There are rules about what can be worn in competitive swimming. See below.

That being said we know of a young man who has permission to wear a swimsuit similar to a female competitive swimsuit due to a medical condition.

http://www.swimming.org/assets/uploa...PrintFINAL.pdf

This means - among other requirements - that the swimwear worn at swimming competitions (including Masters swimming) held under ASA rules must be the following shape1:
for men, it must not extend above the navel nor below the knee, and
for women, shall not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder nor shall extend past the knee.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Men's swimwear for competition