• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Low Fiber & weight loss ?

I'm unable to eat fruits and veggies. Therefore I cannot stop gaining weight. How can I diet to lose weight while still avoiding fruits and veggies? What else can I eat on a low carb diet besides carbs and chicken and eggs!?

Easy. You can eat high calorie foods in smaller quantities.

I mean this seriously; you will lose weight if you consume less calories than you need. If you carry on eating the same foods as you are now (which presumably is resulting in weight gain), but halve your portion sizes, you'll have halved your calorie intake. If that brings your calorie intake down to less than you need, you will lose weight. (Though obviously you may well not need to halve it; reduce it to a point that will cause steady weight loss.)

Fruits and vegetables have calories in them. Avoiding fruits and vegetables can't cause weight gain in itself.

Last edited:
Is it carbs you're avoiding or fibre? They're not the same thing. Or are you avoiding both? And if you're avoiding carbohydrates, what's the reason for that?

EDIT: Ok I reread your post - I think you mean low fibre, as the title of your thread says, but this bit of your post:

What else can I eat on a low carb diet besides carbs and chicken and eggs!?
You meant "can I eat on a low fibre diet" instead of "on a low carb diet"? Sorry, I'm probably just confusing you!

Some low-calorie, low-fibre, (and some low-carb) foods:

Pretty much any lean meat and fish

Eggs and low fat dairy products like yogurt, low-fat cheese spread, cottage cheese

Smooth soups

Bananas and avocados are low-fibre, I'm not sure if they're low-carb, that would depend on what you count as low. Also almost any tinned fruit and stewed apple should be fine. You might be alright with well cooked carrot and potatoes without skin.

These are not low-carb, but plain crackers, white rice, and white bread are low in fibre and have pretty much the same amount of calories as their whole-grain counterparts. The same with low-fibre breakfast cereals like cornflakes and rice krispies, they don't differ much in calories from high-fibre cereals, whole-grain cereals.

Or maybe you could find out about meal-replacement drinks aimed at dieters?

Last edited:
Oops! Yes, i meant Low Fibre

Thanks for all the help!

Is it carbs you're avoiding or fibre? They're not the same thing. Or are you avoiding both? And if you're avoiding carbohydrates, what's the reason for that?

EDIT: Ok I reread your post - I think you mean low fibre, as the title of your thread says, but this bit of your post:

You meant "can I eat on a low fibre diet" instead of "on a low carb diet"? Sorry, I'm probably just confusing you!

Some low-calorie, low-fibre, (and some low-carb) foods:

Pretty much any lean meat and fish

Eggs and low fat dairy products like yogurt, low-fat cheese spread, cottage cheese

Smooth soups

Bananas and avocados are low-fibre, I'm not sure if they're low-carb, that would depend on what you count as low. Also almost any tinned fruit and stewed apple should be fine. You might be alright with well cooked carrot and potatoes without skin.

These are not low-carb, but plain crackers, white rice, and white bread are low in fibre and have pretty much the same amount of calories as their whole-grain counterparts. The same with low-fibre breakfast cereals like cornflakes and rice krispies, they don't differ much in calories from high-fibre cereals, whole-grain cereals.

Or maybe you could find out about meal-replacement drinks aimed at dieters?

Have you ever tried these?

http://www.heinz.co.uk/Products/Pasta

I used to eat them when I was having to really limit my fibre intake, because there were so few vegetables I could eat, and these provide vitamin C from the tomato sauce. They're very easy to digest, and they're very low in calories. I know some of them are aimed at kids, but they're healthy and they don't taste bad either.