Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Diet/Cooking for Kids with IBD » Sprouts for our lil sprouts (Brussel)

01-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Sprouts for our lil sprouts (Brussel)

Similar to the info on Collard Greens but some additional stuff. Brussel Sprouts for dinner tonight! They are the in veggie in my area these days.

Like chronic oxidative stress, chronic unwanted inflammation is also a risk factor for many types of cancer. Exposure to environmental toxins, chronic overuse of prescription or over-the-counter medications, chronic excessive stress, chronic lack of exercise, chronic lack of sleep, and a low quality diet can all contribute to our risk of unwanted inflammation.

Brussels sprouts can help us avoid chronic, excessive inflammation through a variety of nutrient benefits. First is their rich glucosinolate content. In addition to the detox-supportive properties mentioned earlier, glucosinolates found in Brussels sprouts help to regulate the body's inflammatory/anti-inflammatory system and prevent unwanted inflammation. Particularly well-studied in this context is the glucosinolate called glucobrassicin. The glucobrassicin found in Brussels sprouts can get converted into an isothiocyanate molecule called ITC, or indole-3-carbinol. I3C is an anti-inflammatory compound that can actually operate at the genetic level, and by doing so, prevent the initiation of inflammatory responses at a very early stage.

A second important anti-inflammatory nutrient found in Brussels sprouts is vitamin K. Vitamin K is a direct regulator of inflammatory responses, and we need optimal intake of this vitamin in order to avoid chronic, excessive inflammation.

A third important anti-inflammatory component in Brussels sprouts is not one that you might expect. It's their omega-3 fatty acids. We don't tend to think about vegetables in general as important sources of omega-3s, and certainly no vegetables that are as low in total fat as Brussels sprouts. But 100 calories' worth of Brussels sprouts (about 1.5 cups) provide about 480 milligrams of the most basic omega-3 fatty acid (called alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA). That amount is more than one-third of the daily ALA amount recommended by the National Academy of Sciences in the Dietary Reference Intake recommendations, and it's about half of the ALA contained in one teaspoon of whole flaxseeds. Omega-3 fatty acids are the building blocks for the one of the body's most effective families of anti-inflammatory messaging molecules.
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
01-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
Jmrogers4

Ohh Jack does love Brussel sprouts. Good to know, thanks for the info

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
01-29-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
malorymug

My Support Groups:
And they are the hip food this season. All the fancy chefs are serving them. Lots of fancy combinations right now. My kid is loving all the Brussels experiments here.

Currently taking:
Remicade 10mg/kg every 6 wks
Methotrexate 7.5 mg/wk
Cipro
Augmentin
Miralax

previous meds:
6mp 50mg
Flagyl
Cipro
Prednisone 30 mg
01-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Tru dat! And mark my words next is capers!
01-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Jmrogers4

Capers - another of Jack's favorite. He will eat them by the spoonful straight out of the jar. Have to get the big Costco jar.
01-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Capers???? Never heard of them. Can't wait to see what you have next CIC. Thanks for all your work!
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
01-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Jmrogers4

They are little bits of pickled goodness. A little goes a long way.
02-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I made roasted Brussels sprouts last night.
A little olive oil, salt and pepper and a 400 degree oven and all done.
we like them uncooked better.

So tonight I found a recipe for Brussel Apple Salad.
Thinly slice fresh uncooked Brussels Sprouts and apples and toss with olive oil, cran-rasins and nuts (of your choice). You can add cheese but we can't Stupid allergy.
Serve and enjoy.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Diet/Cooking for Kids with IBD » Sprouts for our lil sprouts (Brussel)