Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » 2nd quantiferon test

01-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
CDJ

My Support Groups:
2nd quantiferon test

Josh's 2nd quantiferon blood test came back indeterminate again. Apparently this means that Josh has had contact with someone who has TB somewhere along the line. This is not the result we wanted as it delays the Infliximab yet again. The consultant is going to talk to a microbiology doctor to see what they say.
They are still saying he can have Infliximab but will needed to be treated with prophylactic treatment along side the Infliximab. But as yet don't know when this will start.

Has this happened to anyone else whose child started Infliximab? I just wondered how common this is?

Taken off azathioprine Jan 2011 due to needle phobia
carried on with just pentasa until March 2013

6 weeks Modulen Dec 12 / Jan 13

Finally overcame needle phobia after 3 very long years due to getting right help.

Currently on
125mg Azathioprine
3000mg Pentasa
20g Omeprazole
20mg Buscopan
5mg Prednisolone
Isoniazid
Pyridoxine
600mg ferrous gluconate
250mg zinc
Started Infliximab 18/03/15
01-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
My test came back indeterminate as well. Ask for a PPD. they inject a lliquid bubble beneath the skin and check 2 days later to see the size. This can rule out TB.
01-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
CDJ

My Support Groups:
What's a PPD test? Is this similar to the old BCG test we had when we were at school where they do a skin test before the actual vaccination?
I will ask about this test on Monday.
01-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm not sure about that test but it looks like the one I'm talking about is called the Mantoux test in the UK: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantoux_test
01-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Worried mama

My Support Groups:
My son had the PPD test done as well. Our pediatrician did it. They stick a tiny needle under skin on forearm and then you return 2 days later and they just look at it. PS, do you mind messaging me to let me know how your son got over his needle phobia? It takes at least 3 people to hold my son down for any type of needle, and there are many needles. I don't want to hijack your thread here....tx.
01-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The PPD is more accurate then the Mantoux test. I would ask for that and also a chest X-ray which can usually help rule things out as well. I am on a Facebook page for kids with IBD and this has happened to several kids on that page. They were put on prophylactic treatment.

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
01-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Same here ppd test every year Gi said too many false positives on the blood test .
Good luck
01-31-2015, 12:34 AM   #8
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Mantoux and PPD are the same test. PPD is the type of tuberculin injected and Mantoux is the test technique used.

I am surprised they havenít used this test given the indeterminate result of the Quantiferon Gold.

Dusty. xxx
01-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #9
malorymug

My Support Groups:
Hi, Indeterminate does not mean TB!!!

So we had this problem too. The quantiferon test was indeterminate and a chest xray that found "dense nodules". We also are often exposed to folks that could easily have tb (dense, transient populations). I thought for certain my kid had tb.

We followed up with doing the old fashion skin test (PPD or Mantoux) and it should no antibodies tb. We also had a ct scan of his lungs to show that the dense nodules were not tb. Still working on what they are.

With those two negatives we felt confident to start the infliximub.

I would not give in to taking tb meds prophylaxis easily. In my humble opinion, they are so very strong drugs.

Indeterminate does not mean TB!!!

Currently taking:
Remicade 10mg/kg every 6 wks
Methotrexate 7.5 mg/wk
Cipro
Augmentin
Miralax

previous meds:
6mp 50mg
Flagyl
Cipro
Prednisone 30 mg
02-01-2015, 03:47 AM   #10
CDJ

My Support Groups:
Malorymug, I do realise that this doesn't mean that Josh has TB. It is interesting too that your son also had the same problem. This is the second test that has come back with the same results. I am not sure how often this happens? I know Josh's IBD nurse seems to think this quite rare.

I am hoping for Josh to start Infliximab soon as nothing else is working now. He is still on 40mg steroids as each time we try reducing down his symptoms return.

I will speak to the IBD team tomorrow to see what the next step is now.
02-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oops dusty I meant to say ppd is more accurate then quantiferon not Mantoux as you are right they are the same test!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » 2nd quantiferon test