• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi All

Hey everyone, thought would post a quick introduction to myself. This is weird, i've never posted on a forum before but i've been reading the pages for a while and decided i was going to jump on in...

Anyway, i was diagnosed in April of this year - emergency appointment with the hospital on Easter sunday...no easter eggs for me! Had been not right for a while, with first indicator being uveitis in both eyes...that puzzled the docs for a good long while before the crohn's was found, i can tell you!

Anyway, currently on Pentasa (4g) and azathioprine (75mg) and am feeling fine most of the time...a good thing i guess. But makes me start wondering about the meds and if i need them all. I'm not worried about taking pills, my mum has been on pills for back problems and other stuff my whole life so it doesn't freak me out or anything, i just wonder about it...

Anyway, i'm rambling now so will stop that but thought would write this quickly to stop being a creepy lurker!

Welcome to the forums. I too had never posted before this site. Some really great support on here.

As far as your meds always talk to your doctor first. I know that even though I am in remission my GI says to never, never forget to take my meds. Some are for keeping you in remission. Some are to try to get you there.

Good luck, great to hear that you feel good most of the time.

Just wanted to say Welcome, Chubb, and glad you aren't a creepy lurker anymore, we already have one of those!! I think you are the first one on here I've heard about with uveitis. Have the medications taken care of that?

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Welcome to the forum. I too am interested in hearing more about the eye issues associated with Crohn's. That might be a good thread.

welcome
am new crohnie too,i was freaking out about the pills when i first started to take them and even posted about it my first post but with time it goes away
as long as the meds r gentle to yr body and no terrible side effects then dont worry about it

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Kromom - the eye issues are all cleared up, thank goodness. I had been on steroid eye drops...and when i started the oral prednisolone that cleared it right up - i had an appointment with an eye consultant after being discharged from hospital and was able to tell him the cause of the uveitis rather than the other way round! Shortest appointment ever, told him i had crohns and was on steroids, he checked my eyes and said it looked as though i had never had uveitis!

I still sometimes feel that my eyes aren't quite right, kind of sensitive to bright lights which i don't think i was before. That was the main symptom of the uveitis, couldn't handle lights and my eyes were really red. They kept doing tests and all they could tell me was that there was inflammation in my body but couldn't say where - i just thought, yeah there is...in my eyes!

I had thought uveitis was quite a common extra-intestinal symptom of crohn's...

hi Chubb, and a belated welcome :) sorry, i missed you first posts.

i've got more or less constant sensitivity to bright lights, and also my ears are really sensitive to loud noise.. but no-one can tell me why. i think with the eyes thing, it's connected to headaches (with me), which again are pretty undiagnosed - been told we can get headaches with Crohn's but also been told it could be my hormones. lol - i have a confusing body :D

anyway, good to have you here :)

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hi Chubb and welcome.

When I was first diagnosed in 2003, I took colazal and eventually felt better and on my own stopped taking meds. Was ok for about 2 years until Whammo. Worse flare and took a long long time time recover for me. It gave me religion to take my maintenance drugs even when I'm feeling ok. Just my 2 cents.

Chubb - I'm glad your eye symptoms are better. My eyes are very sensitive to bright lights too, but for some reason I have connected it to my Crohn's. Don't know why!