• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Finally diagnosed, impatient to start Humira

Hi. I'm Nikki. I've been on the forum for awhile so I thought I'd get my story out there. Im an active duty Marine. Been in almost 10 years. I started having problems with chronic diarrhea starting in 2008 when I was 21. I was deployed in Iraq so I thought it was stress and change in food upsetting my stomach. It continued when I got back to California so I went to the doctor. He tested me for lactose intolerance and celiac sprue. Both negative so he told me I had IBS. I continued to have frequent bouts of diarhea and stomach pain. In 2010, I got anal fissures so I was referred to a colorectal surgeon and a gastroenterologist. The surgeon gave me ointment and sent me on my way, despite the fact that my sister had just been diagnosed with Crohn's. He told me I was lucky I just had IBS. The GI doc saiD to eat more fiber and drink more water for my alternating hard stools and diarrhea. Again, he was not concerned that my sister had crohn's and that I had a history of fissures. I also started to see a hematologist for iron deficiency anemia. I received iron infusions for 6 weeks in 2012 because the pills aggravated the fissures (constipation/hard stools).
I continued with my now chronic fissures, hemmorhoids, and bouts of intense cramps and diarrhea. I got used to always carrying Imodium and having days where I ran to the bathroom 10 times. I got used to joint pain and muscle aches that doctors didn't explain. I figured my vegetarian diet was the cause of my fatigue and anemia.
In May 2014, while deployed in Spain (lucky, I know) I got a perianal abscess. My doctor did not even exam me. I had been to medical for an upper respiratory infection and then a chronic cough and Wheezing. He thought I was a hypochondriac. Finally, the abscess burst on its own and drained. I continued self treating for 3 weeks with sitz baths 3-4 times a day. My unit transfered to a navy base in Italy that had a full hospital. I saw a great team there that got me in with the surgeon. He examined me and immediately thought of Crohn's due to fissures off the midline, my history of stomach pain and diarrhea, and my sister having Crohn's. He opened up the abscess to help it drain and recomended I have a colonoscopy right away to get a diagnosis. I chose to wait until I returned to the States and finished my deployment. Finally, in November I had a colonscopy. Confirmed Crohn's diagnoses. The abscess/fistula was a recurring problem but seemed to be healed in Nov/Dec. The doc ordered Humira and after some run around from insurance it finally got sent. Unfortunately the fistula/abscess reared it's ugly head and GI wanted me to see a CR surgeon before starting. Next week I'll be doing either a seton placement or fistulotomy. Then, finally, I'll start the Humira and hopefully go into remission!

That's a long road you had to take. Sorry you had to go through all that but glad your on your way to remission once you get that humira in you. Stay strong.