• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introducing myself and a question!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Jess and I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was in grade 10 (am now 26!) Came across this forum today and was surprised why I hadn't discovered it years earlier lol.

My Crohns has only just recently become more complicated as I have now developed a fistula. I am waiting to be started on Humira (which I am super nervous about) and have been on 6MP since I've been diagnosed. I usually get flare ups once a year which is treated with prednisone.

I am an Aussie, who is planning to move and work in Canada in April (planned this way before discovering the fistula). I am super nervous because in the next 2 weeks I will be having a seton placed, commenced on Humira and a final colonoscopy before I go. My doctors are happy for me to still go in April once the seton and humira are commenced. However I am just super nervous on managing the seton and possible side effects of Humira. Does anyone have any tips?! Thanks guys!

Welcome! Check out our Humira forum in the treatment forum, lots of helpful info on everything from injecting to side effects etc. Canada rocks. (yep, I'm Canadian). Have you got health coverage sorted out? That's important. I'm not on Humira so nothing specific except keep up hygiene. Careful around visibly sick people and wash your hands a ton. I bring hand sanitizer in my purse so if I'm on public transit I can sanitize afterwards.

Ahh I will check that out. Thank you FrozenGirl :)

I am still in the process of travel insurance. I have already been rejected from two insurance companies. So I am going to talk to my IBD nurse about it next week when I see her to see if she knows of any that will insure me.

I am sooo excited to go to Canada, I have never been there before. But I have friends over there who pretty much say it rocks too lol

Thanks for your help!

Hi jess88. No experience with Humira or health system in Canada but want to give you a Big Welcome to the forum.

Catherine

have you tried Covermore? Is this a working holiday?

Note travel insurance will not cover regular medications.

Hi Jess,

I'm Lori, and I'm new to the forum too. I've been on many meds over the years (prednisone, 6MP, Remicade, Humira, etc.) and at first they seemed to help, but over time they stopped working for me, and now I can no longer tolerate them (terrible side effects). So I'm now managing my disease mostly with diet (after many years of trial and error, I discovered a Paleo/anti-inflammatory diet, and it is saving me!). That doesn't mean the Humira won't work for you...everyone is different and you may find it very helpful.

I had a seton placement a couple years ago and using a topical cream called Calmoseptine was a life saver in getting through that. I don't know if it's available where you live. It's over the counter, but you may have to ask the pharmacist for it. It seriously was the only thing that helped with the discomfort. Although the experience wasn't fun and it can be uncomfortable, I was able to travel with the seton, so hopefully you will be fine. Good luck with your travels and new job!

Hello.... I'm Alan, 57, and was diagnosed with Crohn's about 6 years ago, having had years of cramps, ridiculous toilet problems that were generally blamed on diet, shift work or smoking. The symptoms that finally got attention were excessive bleeding, chronic pain, the near inability to pee and feeling like death. My GP thought, after a rectal examination, that I may have cancer but also thought appendicitis was a possibility. With that in mind the hospital made some very speedy investigations but I have to say there are some awful tests which were too painful and gave no results but the simplest, colonoscopy, was the least painful and showed everything! I had surgery within two weeks of that and had about 30cm of bowel removed which included the appendix. Recovery was swift and my days of cramps were over...... Well for a few years. What I didn't expect was the 6monthly colonoscopies that followed, the new shoot it through bowel system I had and the vastly accelerating intolerance to many foods. But the latest thing to rear its head is possibilty more annoying than that. Initially diagnosed, two years ago as lichen planus, it now appears that my mouth has become intolerant of eating! Perhaps a bit dramatic, but jeez it's sore! The inside of my mouth, especially lower gums and cheeks, is raw and my best friends at the moment are mouth washes and ulcer pastilles. Anyone else getting this? I know sugar aggravates it, but then so does spicy, bread and sharp food such as crisps. Out of my diet for Crohn's reasons is , pastry, sugar,(as an additive to food or drinks)fruit. Should be out but can't quite do it, chocolate and liquorice allsorts, And out by choice, milk, yoghurts, etc. So pretty much a low calcium diet with zero fruit, zero alcohol, just given up smoking, definitely not overweight. Oh might help someone else... The biggest aggravation to my condition with the most severe results has been stress. Not an easy thing to get out of your life but if you can get away from things that worry you or panic you then do so.

Hi Alan,

Are the sores you are having canker sores? If so, I have some experience with them. I also have Crohn's, and I used to get very painful canker sore outbreaks years ago (before I changed my diet), and the only thing that helped was rinsing with half water and half hydrogen peroxide several times a day. It would be especially helpful if I started rinsing the second I felt an outbreak coming on (this would prevent it from going any further). Again, this is only for canker sores but thought I'd share just in case. The pain was so bad, it would keep me up at night and it was excruciating to eat. I tried everything, and this was the only thing that worked for me. Good luck!

Lori
adventuresofasickchick.com