• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa help please

pentasa help please

:depressed: :yrolleyes: i was wondering if anyone can tell me about pentasa my gi wants me to take 3-500mg twice a day scare of meds can any one tell me about this ...dignosised with crohn's may 2009 thank-you:yrolleyes:

Thats a standard first line medication for chrons and UC, dont worry about it, i have been on it for 18 years and it hasnt done me any damage, only helped! It got to a stage where the pentasa couldnt keep me in remission so they had to add in azathioprine, but up until then the pentasa was great, altho they had to slowly increase my dose, i am now on 8x500mg tabs a day. Havent noticed any side effects, only get those with the azathioprine i am on or the steriods if i flare. Try not to worry, it is the first line of defence and will help you stay well for longer periods of time! Apart from the tablets being the size of horse pills they will do you well!
Yvonne xx

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I was on them for a short period of time. They work better in the small bowel compared to Asacol(same class of drug as Pentasa). The only side effect I noticed was a mild head ache that went away after a few days. Also, they don't always completely absorb and you may see white granules in your stools.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good info here.:)

thank-you i have to start my blood pressure med for 4 days than start my pentasa i was told to take this meds in may but i'v been scared ...i'v been reading post from everyone and i'v been trying to find the courage to take the med i'll try again on friday tyvm

I see my doctor Monday, after being on Pentasa for one year. And boy, do I take alot of it. 4 500mg pills in the morning, 4 500mg pills in the evening. I've seen nothing adverse with it, other than feeling full and not wanting to eat breakfast ><

Hiya, I'm taking 3 X 500mg per day as well with no obvious side effects...certainly didnt make me worse... however I am not convinced that on its own Pentasa is a miracle bum cork... as I have tapered the steroids I am on the slide symptom-wise... my GI is talking about moving on to Aza... I suppose everyone is different though.

I have just been told this is my first medication to help treat newly diagnosed CD. Was given Codeine initially whilst i waited to see my GI and that just knocked me out most of the day, was falling asleep everywhere! :tongue:

I really hope this helps, will definitely keep you all updated.

Let us know how you get on with it too. Good luck!

:thumright: :thumright:

Been on pentasa for 8 years, 2 tabs twice a day, cos doc tells me to keep taking them, can't say whether they help but never had any side effects

Nose bleeds

I have been taking it now for about 4 days and have just had a couple of bad nose bleeds (I dont usually) and I am a bit worried. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

:confused2:

I think pentasa is more of a scam
5-ASA meds are crap. They barely help and all i see is the beeds in my stool.

Never once helped me.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
kasper87 said:
I think pentasa is more of a scam
5-ASA meds are crap. They barely help and all i see is the beeds in my stool.

Never once helped me.
I don't think they're a scam. If I don't take them, I definitely notice a difference. I think they help people who have disease in their colons more so than the small intestine.

Yes, I think it is a bit unfair to suggest it is a scam. I have Crohn's in my large intestine. Just hope it can help, but will have to see about these nose bleeds first...

I've gotta be honest, I'm probably going to be looking to see if I can see the beads in my stool! :ybatty: