• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Atypical? More often constipated than diarrhea.

One of the reasons i started seeking endometriosis as a possible diagnosis was because I never fit the diarrhea symptom of Crohn's and that seems to be the numero uno thing. More often, I become constipated for days on end. When I was on pentasa I was regular like clockwork.

I know my colon is unaffected because my colonoscopy came back perfectly normal, and I've heard that Crohn's higher in the digestive tract can lead to constipation. Is this true?

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds has constipation - very little diarrhea
His Ti had multiply granulomas at dx .
Confirmed crohns by three seperate Gi at two seperate hospitals
So extremely possible
He still takes daily miralax
In addition to humira and Mtx

Glad the pentasa is working

My son went undiagnosed for a couple of years..was only constipated, never diarrhea. Nearly 2 years after diagnosis, he's just recently started to suffer from diarrhea. His worst was 8 times in a 24 hour period.

crohnsinct

True! My daughter waited 3 years for her dx because she didn't "fit the mold" and no one would listen to us. Constipation, healthy weight, tall for her age. Scopes and biopsies confirmed Crohns.

I always used to be constipated rather than having diarrhea and I think not having the typical Crohn's symptom was a big part of the reason that I went undiagnosed for 10 years. Also I think this certainly contributed to my disease being considered less severe than those who were having more bms each day.

I have Crohn's in the small bowel so that does fit what you say but I don't know if that typically is correlated. While we are 'atypical' I don't think that we are quite as atypical as people think - at least not to the extent that doctors should be convinced we don't have Crohn's because we don't have diarrhea.