Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Low Dose Naltrexone » Has anyone tried LDN while on Humira

02-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Mark180

Has anyone tried LDN while on Humira

I am looking to try LDN, but I need to know if I can do so while I'm on Humira. I am afraid the two might work against each other. Has anyone tried this?
02-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
JDTM
OMG LDN BBQ

My Support Groups:
Not sure about this personally, but I'm tagging Jmrogers4 -- Jacqui, was Jack ever on Remi and LDN at the same time?

Current meds:
Lialda (4.8g)
fluoxetine (40mg)
naltrexone (4.5mg)

Previous meds:
Dexilant (too pricey!), Xifaxan (short course), budesonide (tapered off), Pentasa (had to switch in January 2016), omeprazole

Supplements:
multivitamin
2000IU vitamin D-3

Diagnosis:
gastritis & duodenal ulcers, August 2011
Mild Crohn's in terminal ileum, February 2012
5cm of narrowing w/ no signs of active inflammation, May 2014
02-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
Jmrogers4

Yep, we started Remi/LDN but dropped the LDN fairly quickly not because it caused issues, just because he's a teenage and one less med I have to worry about means one less chance of non-compliance. His GI had no issue with being on the two.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
02-12-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
Mark180

Thanks for the reply.

Since Humira is in the same family as Remicade, I would think the combination would be OK.

I'm on Humira and am showing signs of a reaction to it, rash, joint pain. I'm looking to try something else. LDN looks good because of the low incidence of side effects.
02-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm on LDN and Remicade, same family. GI is fine with it. The Penn State trial investigators were ok with patients on both a biologic and LDN. Generally an immunosuppressant is not a good idea with LDN but it soars to be the case more so with drugs like prednisone.
02-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
JDTM
OMG LDN BBQ

My Support Groups:
Good luck Mark! Keep in mind that while LDN does work for some folks, it's definitely a slow process -- if improvements occur, they will happen VERY gradually. Be patient with it. In the meantime, I hope that the Humira continues to work and the reaction symptoms are just a fluke. Keep us posted.
07-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
lorideco

My Dr wanted to start me in Humira and I didn't like all those side effects. I started LDN 2 months ago and I feel great
07-10-2016, 05:12 AM   #8
Mark180

Well since I posted last, I switched to Cimzia. I didn't do so well. I asked my GInto put me on LDN. I gave him articles about some of the studies. He agreed that the studies looked good. He even knew the main doctor. He called her, "a good doctor and a good scientist." He then refused to prescribe the LDN because it is not an "approved" treatment. He wants to switch me over to Entivio.

Not what I was looking for.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Low Dose Naltrexone » Has anyone tried LDN while on Humira