• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bit of a blockage ?

Last night I woke up with moderate cramping, mainly round my belly button, a bit of massaging seemed to move it on, but the general gripy stomach remained, I also felt very slightly queasy.
Although I did have some output during the night, it wasn't anything like the normal amount.
This morning when I was changing my pouch, a few blobby bits came out.
It's probably the cheese scones I made yesterday, I threw caution to the wind and used half and half self raising flour and wholemeal, what was I thinking !.
Anyway, I feel fine this morning, but I'm reluctant to eat until I know things are flowing again.
Need I be so cautious, or because I feel fine, is it safe to eat ?.

There's a big range in severity of blockages; if you do have a blockage, it doesn't sound like you've got a total one, so that's a good start!

Nausea and cramps are symptoms of blockages, but obviously they can result from many other things too, so your stoma output may be the thing to pay most attention to.

I've been told by one doctor that eating may actually help to get things moving with partial blockages, and stoma nurses have recommended hot drinks and fizzy drinks for the same purpose; they stimulate the bowel, and so can shift a blockage. A safer option is chewing gum - stimulates digestion, but nothing for the digestive system to deal with. I've found all these to be helpful.

You could also try changing your position: lie on one side for a few minutes, then change to the other, and try drawing your knees up to your chest, and do some walking. These were tips given to me the one time I saw a doctor when I had a partial blockage, but I'd already been doing the changing sides thing instinctively with previous blockages, and it's the one that's been most effective for me. Then cautiously start with a drink, maybe, and see if it results in either symptoms, output, or both.

My necessary disclaimer here: I can't tell you if it's safe to eat or not, but I know you're a sensible person and I hope you will take my advice to seek medical help if you're at all unsure, if the symptoms return, or if you go many more hours without substantial output (or if any output you do have is very watery).

I wouldn't assume wholemeal flour is the cause; note that it seems to be the cause, go back to "safe" foods when you are eating again, and keep the flour in mind when if you do decide to try it again in the future (and if you do, begin with a very small amount).

I hope you have no further issues, but err on the side of caution if this possible blockage does not resolve soon.

This afternoon, things were very active, I had to go to the loo every quarter hour or so, with liquid output, so I'm also wondering if the blue cheese I used wasn't a bit too blue, although I didn't think that was possible.
Everything seems fine now, I didn't eat anything until mid afternoon, and I'd had output with no discomfort, just had some toast with smooth peanut butter, which has always been a safe option for me.

It seems blue cheese can indeed go off, and you can have food poisoning without vomiting, so possibly it was that rather than a blockage.
I'm not in any hurry to try wholemeal flour again though !.

I'm glad to hear things seem to have settled down. It's hard to pinpoint the cause of episodes like this, especially when you take into account the possibility that it may not have been the result of anything you ate or did at all.

That said, a rush of liquid output can be a sign of a stoma blockage, so your first guess might still be right. I wasn't sure where I'd heard this about watery output, but I just googled it and it does seem to be right: http://www.stomawise.co.uk/types-of-stoma/blockage (The first site I found in my search results. It seems some of the tips on dealing with blockages given to me are on this page too.)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000074.htm (It's mentioned on this page too.)

You're doing pretty good if you haven't had a leak yet. Often there are leaks in the first few weeks as the stoma changes size and output is more watery when your digestive system is recovering from surgery.

So the nurses keep telling me, I am very particular in tending to pouch changes and monitoring my stoma, I also seem to have skin like velcro, in that everything sticks to it .
The closest I've had to a leak is when I've changed my pouch, the edge of the mouldable ring has started to break down.
Long may it last !.