• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eyes turning Yellow ???

M

MBVierra

I know this sounds weird, but the whites of my eyes turn yellow when I do not feel well; this usually happens several times throughout the month.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 2002 and I do a pretty good job of handling it. I have been on Humira since it came out. I also take reglan and phenergan on a regular basis.

I know the whites of people's eyes can turn yellow when they are having problems with their liver, but as much as I know my liver is healthy. I thought maybe it might be a side effect of the medication but I cannot find any literature on it. I also wondered if maybe it was malnutrition or something ???

I was just wondering if anyone has this same problem or any ideas on it.

I'd get it checked out by your dr. Have you ever had a liver panel done while you're sick and have yellow eyes?

Regular Joe

In the first flare that I experienced in 2002, my eyes didn't turn yellow, but my skin turned yellowish. I thought it may have been a liver malfunction, but tests showed there was a "significant fatty infusion" affecting my liver. Most of the reading I've done on that suggested that it could be an early sign of a liver disorder, but fatty infusion in and of itself doesn't appear to have major effect on liver function, which my tests indicated normal functioning.

I recently ran across an article concerning CT scanning and medical decision making involving people with long-standing Crohn's Disease. The paper states:

"The most common extraintestinal manifestation pf Crohn's Disease is fatty infiltration of the liver."

That idea is prefaced with a statement that identifies the "Hepetobilliary Tract" (liver, billiary tree) as a location that is most commonly prone to EIM complications from CD.

I don't know, but during the one flare I experienced, I developed skin color changes that some of those around me said were due to liver problems. Eventually the flare went into spontaneous remission without medication. The yellow skin symptom seemed to also resolve once the flare went away.

I don't remember everything from that flare, but I do remember diet changes brought about improvements, but another physical problem appeared that seemed to shift medical attention, and my own attention, away from my digestion problems to a lung problem.