• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can I make coconut water taste better?

Believe it or not, water gives me pain. I haven't been able to drink water for MONTHS, now. I drink solely Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, or Gatorade. (sometimes milk in smaller quantities, as that's as much as I can handle). I can't drink any normal juice without pain, I can't drink water without pain, and things like tea makes me want to vomit. So, surprise-surprise, I'm pretty dehydrated. I've got REALLY dry skin, my lips are always dry, my mouth is getting dry, and I've been having a hard time losing weight, since my body wants to hold onto anything it can.

Because soda and gatorade is really not healthy for me, since I don't have much in the line of exercise to warrant tons of sugar, I want to get into something like coconut water, since I've heard it's really good for people with Crohn's (all my symptoms point to that, but we're not sure. I've been following the Crohn's rules, and it's helped a LOT). But, the TASTE!

GAH!!!!!!!!!

I can't get past the taste. It tastes WEIRD! I can't mix it with stuff like pineapple juice, since I'll be in the bathroom for the rest of the day if I have anything like that. But, I want to drink it for the benefit. As it is, I can't make myself drink any more than a couple tiny sips. Anyone got any tips to making it taste better? I love the taste of tart drinks like lemon water, but I can't put enough lemon to make it taste like lemon. Anything stronger that I can do that won't hurt my system? Or anything else I can try?

Any tips and advice would be great! Thanks!

Nevermind. Coconut water itself won't do. Two minutes after posting this, I ended up with pain from sipping at it. I can't seem to find anything that's healthy and doesn't give me pain or the urge to run to the nearest bathroom. OW.

Trysha

Staff member
Have you tried steam distilled water which is quite pure
Rose's Lime Juice diluted in water can be helpful with antibiotic associated diarrhea
and helped me to dramatically reduce bathroom visits.
Ginger drinks may help,either made with fresh or powdered ginger or there is a product available in some supermarkets as sweetened ginger granules dilute with water
Ginger can be quite effective as an anti nause agent
Sorry you are having so many upsets
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

coconut water, since I've heard it's really good for people with Crohn's (all my symptoms point to that, but we're not sure. I've been following the Crohn's rules, and it's helped a LOT). But, the TASTE!
GAH!!!!!!!!!!
:ylol:

Depends on what sort of coconut water you are drinking?

Anything processed and pre-packaged from a bottle, can or carton, tastes vile and utterly disgusting. I mean totally vomit gag worthy. Water from the old brown hairy coconuts are not much better either.

You need a young green coconut or Thai drinking coconut. The taste also varies on these, depending on how mature the coconut is, but on average it tastes like pure nectar from the Gods.

I buy about fifteen Thai drinking coconuts over the course of one week (you need to keep them refrigerated). And from those 15, normally only 1 - 2 are too mature or too young and don't taste their best. And in this instance you could juice watermelon and mix the two together, to improve the flavour. Or just chuck it out and open another.

If the water is pink it is too young. If the water is yellow it is too old. If the water is clear like real water or slightly cloudy / hazy, then it is near perfect.

Of course, there is no way of knowing until you open them - that is just luck of the draw.

You can eat the flesh as well or freeze it for later ice-cream or curry making.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/youngcoconut.htm#step-heading

But I suggest medical intervention for now. Your doctor or the local hospital can hydrate you. It involves going on a needle drip and injecting fluids into your veins. Proper name is Intravenous Rehydration. Obviously this will by-pass you having to take any fluids via mouth, and will probably stop the nausea.

You could also try rubbing an ice cube on your lips or sucking on it.

Maybe the carbonation of Pepsi or Dr. Pepper helps you tolerate those drinks. Have you tried carbonated water? Maybe start with plain soda water and slowly add some natural flavorings like fresh lime, lemon or orange squeezed in. If you like it sweet, add some simple syrup (sugar or honey based) and Bam! Homemade soda pop. And get's you on the road to experimenting with flavors.

David

Co-Founder
Maybe the carbonation of Pepsi or Dr. Pepper helps you tolerate those drinks. Have you tried carbonated water? Maybe start with plain soda water and slowly add some natural flavorings like fresh lime, lemon or orange squeezed in. If you like it sweet, add some simple syrup (sugar or honey based) and Bam! Homemade soda pop. And get's you on the road to experimenting with flavors.
That's an interesting thought. My other thought was the pH. Everything she seems to do ok with is acidic.