Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Accutane Crohn’s Disease Expert Testimony Barred by New Jersey Judge

03-05-2015, 05:52 AM   #1
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Accutane Crohn’s Disease Expert Testimony Barred by New Jersey Judge

Thousands of Accutane lawsuits filed in New Jersey state court involving allegations that the acne medication caused the development of Crohn’s disease may be impacted by a recent ruling, where the judge presiding over the litigation refused to allow key expert witnesses to testify…

New Jersey Atlantic County Superior Court Judge Nelson Johnson issued a ruling (PDF) on February 20, which bars testimony that linked the side effects of Accutane to incidents of Crohn’s disease.

Judge Johnson said the plaintiffs’ experts brought no reliable scientific evidence linking Accutane to the condition, indicating that the expert disregarded valid scientific research to do so.

“It is one thing to stand alone in the world of science, advancing a hypothesis that others do not except,” Johnson said in his ruling. “It is quite another thing to advance a hypothesis that can only be supported by disregarding valid scientific research.”

The loss of the expert witness testimony may leave some plaintiffs without a means of establishing that Accutane caused their Crohn’s disease injury.

Known generically as isotretinoin, Accutane has been linked to an increased risk of inflammatory bowel disease, which could lead to ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease or other damage to internal organs. This may cause former users of the acne medication to suffer severe stomach and gastrointestinal problems for years following use of the medication, resulting in pain and a devastating impact on their overall quality of life.

More than 6.700 people have filed an Accutane lawsuit against Roche, alleging that the drug maker failed to adequately warn about the risk of the gastrointestinal problems. Several early bellwether trials in the litigation have already resulted in multi-million dollar damage jury awards for instances of IBD from Accutane. However, Roche has continued to challenge those verdicts on appeal.

In August 2014, a federal appeals court overturned a $2 million verdict in an Accutane case brought by Gillian Gaghan, finding that since her doctor knew about Accutane IBD risks but failed to warn her, she could not accuse the company of failure to warn.

In March 2014, a New Jersey jury awarded $1.5 million in damages in another Accutane bowel disease lawsuit, involving a plaintiff diagnosed with IBD after using the acne medication. That case originally went to trial in 2010, resulting in a $10.5 million award that was overturned on appeal, after Roche challenged the original verdict, arguing that certain evidence was excluded that should have been presented to the jury.

Following the retrial, the jury found once again that Roche failed to adequately warn about the potential side effects of Accutane, which have been linked to the development of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.

- See more at: http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/accutan....WthaxZxl.dpuf
03-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
greypup

My Support Groups:
This is a sensitive subject for me.

My dd had cystic acne before her crohn's diagnosis. I never liked what I read about accutane so she took doxycycline instead. I'm afraid that doxy may have done as much damage as they say accutane can.

Today, she takes accutane, not doxy. Our derm told us there is a study that some crohn's patients tend to have cystic acne so instead of accutane triggering crohn's it may be that cystic acne can be a marker of crohn's... In our case, it was.

I wish that derms who see patients w/cystic acne advise them to see GI doctors as precaution before starting any meds at all. That's how it would have worked out best for us. DD went years w/the acne while the crohn's was brewing and we did not know.
Imuran
supplements=Vit D, L-Glutamine, Omega D, Probiotic, Curcumin
03-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Clash
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yep C's issue started after doxycycline for acne as well.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
03-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I've read a lot about doxy problems too. I was on it 1 month and was ok but long term it seems risky.
03-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Clash
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
His dose was supposed to be 3 months then a follow-up before the next 3 months were px'ed his issue started within the first month.

Last edited by Clash; 03-05-2015 at 06:34 PM.
03-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
wildbill_52280

Here is a study linking doxycycline to increasing risk of crohn's.

http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v1...g2010303a.html
03-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
xmdmom

My Support Groups:
My son was on minocycline (I think) in the months prior to his diagnosis.
03-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
wildbill_52280

My son was on minocycline (I think) in the months prior to his diagnosis.
that has also been linked in the study posted above.
03-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
greypup

My Support Groups:
For my dd the cystic acne was a marker of GI issues even tho the antibiotics might have been the trigger.

I wonder how many crohn's patients have cystic acne? I would love to see a study to better understand and push to educate the derms, peds and internists!
03-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
Clash
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My son acne was not cystic except in ears. I don't think doxy caused the CD but triggered a flare. He had joint issues before then which rheumatologist thinks correlated to his JSpA.
03-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
wildbill_52280

For my dd the cystic acne was a marker of GI issues even tho the antibiotics might have been the trigger.

I wonder how many crohn's patients have cystic acne? I would love to see a study to better understand and push to educate the derms, peds and internists!
in the pamphlet my doc gave me when diagnosed it stated people with gi issues tend to have hair and skin issues, its not a new idea, but i have not seen the actual studies which identified a higher occurance compared to people with no gi issues.
03-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
Cbar1516

Accutane is an awful poison that literally causes autoimmune disorders.

I was in perfect health less than two years ago. I took a course of Accutane and it thinned my skin, wrinkled me, made my hair fall out, gave me arthritis and chronic muscle pain, and ruined my digestive track. I don't care what any "science" or "experts" say. This drug has the ability to side or trigger a whole host of autoimmune diseases in people. Just go to askapatient.com and read through the reviews to see how this drug has devastated people. We know our bodies and we know when we've been poisoned and fundamentally damaged. You can feel it. You know it. This drug will not be on the market a decade from now as evidence of its awful side effects continues to build.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Accutane Crohn’s Disease Expert Testimony Barred by New Jersey Judge