• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Shy Newbie needing help!

Urm hi everyone,
this is my first time on one of these thing and I don't know where or even how to begin, I'm generally a shy person and don't like to open up about how I'm feeling or my story but I guess we're all in the same boat so here it goes...

It all started in September 2012 just as I started my GCSE at school, I had this sudden outburst of back pain which made me cripple over in pain and unable to move. Anyway several weeks later and multiple trips to A&E with server stomach pain and sleepless nights the nightmare began.
It's taken over 2 years to get diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (diagnosed in February) and it hasn't been an easy ride with all different tests, medication scans and operations, I'm just glad I've and all my family around me to support me in everyday.

It's been really hard for me to accept that this is me now, I went from being really sporty and active to now having one fun day out and having to spend the next two in bed, although I hate to do that as I feel that my condition has beaten me.

This is also really hard as I am only 17 and having stated college last September I found this as a way to recreate me, as everyone from school knew me as being 'ill'. However, that was more difficult than I imagined as I couldnt go to all the parties or the trips as I couldn't keep up or face people asking me why I wasn't drinking.

I'm also really glad I've found this website as I haven't had anyone to relate to or really talk to who understands me this ordeal and it's really nice to read everyone else's stories to find out I'm not alone.
So any help or advice on dealing with this condition or how to stop it 'beating' me would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum. You will find there is a wealth of information and many supportive members. I certainly understand the accept/denial of the disease process, it's hard especially since you are so young. One positive - they found it early which means less damage to your organs. It's wonderful you have family to support you - there are groups for family members also. There are groups for younger people who can relate to your difficulties at your age.

I have found this Forum a lifesaver for me, so much information and support that others who do not walk in our shoes can't fully understand. You are not alone!!

What types of treatment have this discussed with you and/or what meds are you taking?

Together we can be strong even on days that we feel are absolutely the worst.:ghug:

Hi thanks so much for replying it means a lot!
It's been a tough ride regarding medication as I haven't yet been put on the right meds for my condition. I take a lot of meds for different reasons and given to me by different departments eg bladder, gyne, gastro.

The current meds I am taking:
Asacol 800mg
Amitriptyline 10mg
Trimethoprim 10mg
Omeprazol 20mg
Mebeverine 135mg
Domperidone 30mg
Tramadol 50mg
Paracetamol 200 mg
hyoscine-butylbromide

I have had multiple ultra sounds, MRI scans, barium meals, dye capsules, blood tests, laparoscopy, endoscopy, colonoscopy, biopsy.
I am also due to have another endoscopy and colonoscopy in April.

Thank you so much for your support:)