• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crappy Disease!

My 18 yr old daughter was diagnoses with ulcerative colitis 8mths ago and in that time she has tried 6 different medications, all with no success. In fact, she has been diagnosed with hyersensitivity and many of the meds have caused terrible side effects including pericarditis. I'm at the end of my tether, so goodness knows how she feels. Her doc is now suggesting Humira or Remicade, but I'm very apprehensive about these, given her previous bad reactions to meds. I'm very worried about its sde effects. I've booked her in for an app with a natropath. Anyone had any success with natropathy? Or am I wasting my time and money?:sign0085:

Honey

Staff member
Hi there, and welcome,
Sorry to hear your daughter is not well. Diet certainly will help but may not be enough. I have Crohns, only diagnosed 4 years ago and have tried various meds without success. So, I understand your dilemma re side effects. However, I eventually agreed to go on Remicade infusions which are only offered after all else is failed. I did well on that, but eventually had to come off as I took a lung infection. I am currently well and on Steroids, low doze.
I know certain foods would aggravate my tummy so I avoid them e.g. creamy sauces or dishes with a lot of cheese. So, looking at diet is worth a try but you probably could work that out for yourself as I have. We are all individuals in how we are and how we respond to treatment. What works for me may not work for someone else!
I hope your daughter feels better soon. It is a rotten illness
.:welcome::rosette1:

I have Crohn's Colitis and have been on Humira for a few years. Besides a rash at the injection site (which lasts about 1 day) I haven't had any other issus with it. With all Crohn's/Colitis patients, medications are difficult to figure out when first diagnosed. I tried MANY different kinds that I was unable to tolerate when first diagnosed. Eventually the Dr's will figure out the right ones for her. I have never tried Natropathy so I have no input for you on that. Hope you guys firgure out the right course of action soon. Good luck!