• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gut fungal microbiota

Lady Organic

Staff member
Does anyone have access to the full article? Ive been wanting to know more about the possible implication of Fungus in IBD.
thx

http://journals.lww.com/ibdjournal/...ngal_Microbiota___The_Yin_and_Yang_of.19.aspx

Abstract

Abstract: The prevalence of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) has been steadily increasing since 1960. They are widespread throughout Europe, North America, China, and Japan and are emerging as a global disease. The equilibrium among epithelial cells, the immune system, and the related microbiota seems to be paramount in ensuring the absence of these IBD. The role of bacteria in the setting of the gut microbiota has been thoroughly documented, but the role of fungi, which are less abundant, needs to be investigated. Our understanding of the fungal microbiota composition and its impact on IBD has greatly increased in the past 8 years. In this review, we compiled data obtained for the composition of fungal gut microbiota. Special attention was paid to the various effects of this microbial community on the IBD, i.e., the mechanisms and immune pathways involved in these interactions.

nogutsnoglory

Is this fungus in the system or in the blood? I was reading about fungemia the other day. This isn't the same right?

Lady Organic

Staff member
From what I quickly read, fungemia is systemic fungi infection, seems like a more global situation compared to localized small fungi infections (often causating agent is Candida Albican).

I have experienced a lot with vaginal candidosis when I was in my early 20's. I was very fragile in that area, compared to my other women's friends. Sometimes I hypothesise there may be a correlation with such a dysbiosis in my colon as well.

From Diflucan (systemic anti-fungal pill drug, which I often took) website, they explain clearly how the dysbiosis occur:

''A vaginal yeast infection is caused by a fungus called Candida. Candida is normally present in the vagina, but its growth is usually kept in check by another naturally-occurring organism — a bacterium called Lactobacillus, which produces an acid that stops the candida from growing too rapidly. When the healthy acidic balance of candida and lactobacillus is disrupted, and the yeast is allowed to flourish, it results in a classic yeast infection.''

I thinking a similar process could happen in the colon; candida overgrowth? When I think most probiotics have Lactobacillus as one of main strains of bacteria to restore and help the gut flora, it gets interesting.

from wiki on candida albican :

C. albicans is commensal and a constituent of the normal gut flora comprising microorganisms that live in the human mouth and gastrointestinal tract. C. albicans lives in 80% of the human population without causing harmful effects, although overgrowth of the fungus results in candidiasis (candidosis).

Naturopaths can also advice patients with recurring/chronic candidosis to try avoid sugars completly, including fruits. I have reduced my fruit intake since thinking about that and emphasized on vegetable intake instead as a exploration.

Last edited:
Fungi like candida hang out anywhere and everywhere. What keeps them in check in these places are bacteria and pH. Candida does not grow well in acidic environments. Though vaginal pH is usually lower than colonic pH, so one would intuitively think that vaginal cadidial infections would be less common instead of much more common, vaginal pH can be transiently and sometimes easily manipulated. Without getting too graphic more things (soaps, feminine hygeine products, body parts) get in and can wreck havoc on vaginal pH. In addition, hormones, medications, time of the month, can also mess up vaginal pH.

This doesn't usually happen in the colon. Colonic pH, though higher than vaginal pH is still acidic (more acidic in the cecum- about 5.5 to about 6.5 in the rectum.) In addition, the vast numbers and kinds of bacteria usually do not allow for colonic cadidal infection.

That being said, it is not impossible to get candida infections in the lower GI tract. Immune suppression, antibiotics, surgery etc... could potentialy lead to candidal GI infections.

Candida in the upper GI tract (mouth, esophagus especially) can certainly be seen in those immune suppressed, on long term steroids etc...

If I want a paper I cant get I track down the corresponding author or lead author.
Send them an email, saying that you are a laymen researcher with IBD and are interested
in there work.
Could they send you a pdf of the complete paper.
Be nice and thank them much for their work.
I have received most probably about 98% of the ones I have asked for.

If you get it then of course not a good idea to put it online. It is copy written
material and not open access.
Old Mike

Last edited: