Share Facebook

03-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
protitis
Banned

What is tenesmus

I am confused about tenesmus. I have read many different definitions of it. Some say it is very painful others say it is incomplete evacuation or persistent feeling of wanting to pass stools or constant passage of stool.

Are there different definitions being used?

My sensation is basically a feeling that my bowels have not emptied fully even after a bowel movement. It is very uncomfortable but not painful. It is not relieved when lying down, sitting down or standing up.
03-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
My doctor defines it as feeling like you still need to go, even when there is nothing left to come out. A constant urge of needing to pass stool.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
03-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
FrozenGirl

My doctor defines it almost the same as 2thFairy, a feeling you need to go but nothing (or very little) comes out. He said it is due to rectal inflammation a lot of the time.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
03-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
HangryGinger

My Support Groups:
Same as the other two posts.

I think the potential pain could be a result if you continue straining to 'go' when there's nothing there.