• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it ok to be considered a "crohnnie" or other term?

Are you ok with slang terms for your condition?

• I am a crazy crohnnie and love it (I like nick names :))

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • I am indifferent

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • I don't like them

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Do you mind having a term like "crohnnie" or other term used to describe you? While it is a fun word and can be humourous, it can also make people feel worse and make them feel more negative about themselves and their condition.

So what is your opinion on this.

Personally, I am truly indifferent. I can see how using a nickname of sorts can make you feel different/special (in a good/positive way) but I do not think it is overall that important. It does not bother me either (assuming it is not used in a negative way of course).

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

its depends on whose saying it but my friends wouldnt say things like that, i dont mind my crohnnie friends calling me it because they are the same ((hugs))

P

plagueius

devildee(donna2005)LOL said:
its depends on whose saying it but my friends wouldnt say things like that, i dont mind my crohnnie friends calling me it because they are the same ((hugs))

i agree

I am indifferent but I had to write that I am the crazy crohnnie and love it. It is a fun name and if someone called out crohnnie then I would probably look around. But if someone used the term negatively I would likely give them the finger and yell a few derogatory comments towards them. But yeah if it is used like a fun word or as I use it as a way to tell people what I have, if I say I am a crohnnie then most people just look at me in a strange way.

K

Kate

as long as its done with good intentions and not hurtful im cool you can call me whatever

V

Valentina

I could care less honestly.. I like to joke around a lot, it makes me feel a bit better, and coming up with funny little names or words to try and downplay how Im feeling or help explain something really unpleasant helps a lot. Im not sure how I would feel to hear a conversation behind my back where people had nasty things to say/joke around about it.. but when its all done with no harm intended, Im all for it.

Kev

MEMBERSHIP HAS IT PRIVILEGES! I see it as a term of affection within the Crohns community. I wouldn't tolerate it by someone outside of the community. But, I'd suggest we put it to a vote. All in favour of the term crohnie being permitted please signify by passing gas... (cough, gasp, wheeze) I can't say for sure, but I think that was unanimous, or at least a clear majority. Anybody got some air freshener? Somebody crack open a window, and for sake of all that's holy, don't anybody lite a match... Darn, my parakeet just keeled over. Services at noon!!!