• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Healthy Snacks

Just wondering if anyone has good ideas for healthy snacks? I mostly struggle with the after school ideas. We seem to resort to the usual junk food because it's easy and I have no imagination! Any help is appreciated

Tesscorm

Staff member
Whole wheat pitas (or tortillas), cut into triangles, baked until crispy and dipped into salsa. (If you do this, bake at a low temperature for a while 30 minutes plus - it dries the bread and makes it crispier than toasting.)

Baked kale chips

Mini pizzas - toasted english muffin with a little sauce and shredded cheese

Oatmeal protein pancakes (Made with protein powder and oatmeal - I think you can google the recipe, but let me know if you don't find it - my daughter adds cocoa powder to make it chocolatey). You can make a bunch and freeze. Then just take one out and toast. Instead of using maple syrup, my daughter makes a sauce out of her protein powder and milk/water.

Tess, do you serve the kale chips with anything?

I was just taking with someone that was making a soup using kale.

I've never had it.

crohnsinct

FW: Baked Kale Chips are the yummiest treat EVER! My girls beg me for them...but caveat...once cooked a lot of veggies lose some of their nutritional value. Just take kale, a little EVOO, some garlic powder, dash of salt, if you like grated parmesan then a bit of that. Toss in a bowl and bake. As good as potato chips.

Sascot: cut up fruit is a go to here but my girls also like salty so Kale chips.

Also, hummus and veggies. Hummus provides awesome protein and fiber and the veggies...well....

Guacamole and veggies. Healthy fat and well...veggies!

Cut up potatoes baked and voila fries...we do sweet potatoes.

Smoothies for a sweet treat. Let the kids come up with their own concoctions which is half the fun. Add a little spinach to up the nutrient factor....they will never taste it. Our go to is a handful of spinach, a banana, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, 1 cup frozen strawberries..we add chia or hemp seeds for protein and calcium. My kids just came up with a strawberry and raspberry smoothie...with spinach of course. I like a mango, pineapple, kale, lime juice, ginger and date smoothie.

You can try some of the recipes on Farmwife'ss thread for sweet treats. Fruit ice cream...two ingredient cookies and such.

Handful of nuts (if your kids can handle them). Pumpkin seeds ( I have a thread in the diet section about their benefits...I think I refer to them as Pepita). Excellent healthy fat and protein source.

O has a recipe for a protein bar that was to die for. But be careful with protein powder. Choose wisely. ALL of them are processed and a lot contain a lot of added "stuff". We are currently using a hemp seed powder. It is the best I can do right now but still searching for the perfect one.

Oh man! I love food! And snacking!

Tesscorm

Staff member
FW - I make my kale chips just like CIC. I've always meant to try to spritz vinegar and add salt but haven't tried it yet.

Also, yes, we Portuguese make kale soup! It's awesome, it's called Calde Verde (Green Soup in English... very imaginative people! :lol:)

For more healthy snacks ideas... look for a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious (http://www.doitdelicious.com/cookbooks/deceptively_delicious). It's an older book so you can probably find it at a library. All the recipes include (hidden) pureed veggies. Tried a few recipes when my kids were young and they were all good.

Also, go to www.pinterest.com and search healthy snacks - you'll find hundreds! :)

When my two come in they always starving, they have a cereal bar and a milkshake. More than often I make them an early dinner as they start munching crisps or biscuits if I don't. We don't normally eat til 6ish but recently I have dinner prepared when I get in from work before 5 and feed the hungry monsters. Lol

Our dietitian recommended Cliff bars (but we haven't tried them yet). My girls like to snack on fruit - strawberries, apples, oranges, blueberries....any fruit really. I make them smoothies at night and the fun for them is trying to guess what I put in it, lol.

We were told cliff bars too
They do make cliff bars Jr. The kids seem to like that better. Easier to chew I think.

Well I've been inspired to go buy kale today. I want to make the chips. This should be interesting. Lol

Fruit, smoothies with protein powder, Scooby snacks (peanut butter and cinnamon rolled up in tortillas), applesauce.
Unfortunately I'm the only one that likes Kale chips.
We keep cooked chicken and rice on hand and they will make teriyaki bowls.
Actually who am I kidding anymore with 2 teenage boys in the house it's pretty much what ever they can find that's easy so I try and have healthy things easy to grab and almost always try and have a protein source in it. Seems to hold them over a little longer. Of course they basically eat 3 dinners anymore. One when they get home from school, family dinner and bedtime dinner.
Just glad Jack is eating!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Actually who am I kidding anymore with 2 teenage boys in the house it's pretty much what ever they can find
:lol: so true!!! You reminded me of something... when my kids were teens, it seemed they were constantly hungry and looking for food! So, rather than having them reach for cookies, crackers, whatever, I started baking chicken breasts and freezing them. I'd literally cook 6-8 breasts (with bbq sauce, etc.) every week just to freeze. Whenever they were hungry, they'd just pull one out. They'd sliced it up and use them in a quick fajita or they'd make some rice to eat with it. (And, yes, these were snacks! :lol:) One item that became a core staple at home... it is processed and overpriced but... Minute Rice individual bowls of rice (one cup sizes), basmati or brown rice, that are microwaveable and cook in 1 minute. They also sell flavoured rice but I've never bot those. Not sure how the nutritional counts compare to non-instant rice but, in any case, a chicken breast and one cup of rice was healthier than grabbing cookies or a frozen pizza. :)

http://www.minuterice.ca/prod_rts.htm

^^^ Yes, every time I cook chicken breasts I cook extra or I'll throw a whole chicken in the crockpot on the weekend and pull all the meat off and they make teriyaki bowls, quesadillas.
I've tried the rice cups but they say the rice tastes like plastic. I have a rice steamer so just steam up a big pot and put in in a big container in the fridge and they just scoop out what they need.
I honestly don't think they stop eating and they have certainly become less picky about food. I don't know if they even taste anything anymore. It's just fuel.

Tesscorm

Staff member
:lol: Yeah, even at my kids' ages now, it is non-stop eating! Because my daughter follows her own strict diet, she prepares her own food but, she eats constantly (every 1.5-2 hours! :yfaint: Thank god she preps her own! :lol:) And when S is home... I quickly run out of food!

Have you ever heard of bacteria or something with reheated rice? I'd once read something or other, unfortunately I don't remember what it was but it was due to whatever I'd read that I started buying these instant rices. We used to keep leftover rice but I stopped years ago. Hmmm, maybe time to do some research again and try to remember why I'm buying the instant rice! :lol:

Sorry, Sascot, I think we sort of diverted your thread away from after school snacks! :ack:

Edit: Link re reheating rice: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx?CategoryID=51

I second the smoothies (thanks crohnsinct !!) - today we did raspberries, strawberries, goji berries a chunk of leftover apple(I put these in the freezer last night) with almond milk and a bit of nonfat Greek yogurt. Tasted like strawberry ice cream!
We love kale chips as well-be careful the last few minutes-they burn quickly!
We also like snap pea crisps for a crunchy treat, or homemade cheese it's. http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-cheez-its-505315
I also like kale and white bean soup.
We eat kale or spinach daily-I put a layer over the sauce on homemade pizza, throw some chopped in eggs or rice, use it instead of lettuce on tacos or nachos, etc. The kids got used to it and don't bat an eye lol.

-Avocados perfectly ripe and cut into slices, my family eats them on triskets, but that's too much fiber for crohn's, so I use plain club crackers.

-Bananas in any form, cut up with peanut butter or some other smooth nut butter.

-Plain white rice, add a little soy sauce or peanut sauce

- Roasted chicken peas, I rinse well and remove the outer layers if possible to cut back on the fiber, I toss with sesame oil and whatever spices, and bake on low heat until they're dry.

- Plain tomato soup or plain vegetable broth.

- Any vegetable milk: rice, soy, coconut, almond, cashew, over a soft low fiber low sugar cereal (life is my favorite)

-Coconut macaroons, so easy to make, especially if you have egg whites left over from making pasta, a lot of coconut, and a mixer! I add other things to boost the nutrition like a small amount of barley flour, coconut flour, flaxseed meal (not the whole seeds), or poppy seeds.

For on the go, our dietician recommended Quest bars (GF). We also do protein balls. Lots of fruit, apples w/peanut butter, or the latest favorite is a grilled tortilla quesadilla with pb and banana (and I just use GF tortillas for DS). Chocolate chips are added if they come home with an A on something. :)

crohnsinct

Re: Cliff bars...check out the first ingredient "Brown rice syrup" This is just another sugar and by the time it reaches the small intestines it is pure glucose. Our dietician does not recommend Cliff Bars because of their high added sugar content.

We use Lara Bars for a packaged treat. Many of them have fewer than 5 ingredients and all whole foods. However, even some of those have a bit of added sugar with chocolate chips or chocolate added.

There is also some controversy about arsenic and brown rice syrup but I haven't researched it yet. I just avoid it because sugar is inflammatory and we are trying to avoid sugar.

crohnsinct

^yeAh us to! But every once in awhile my girls want to feel like other kids an rip a package open or we are on the road and don't have something. In those times Lara bars are perfect. Same ingredients as you would use at home

my little penguin

Staff member
Tried apple and one other flavor
DS was not a fan at ALL.
We stick to Annie's oatmeal bars
Sugar but organic so we are ok with that .

Lady Organic

Staff member
banana dipped into almond butter (about 3 spoons). easy and delicious.
I eat 2 of those everyday and I can say I have gained weight eating the almond butter. really yummy and full of calcium.