• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could Prednisone stop working?

My kid has had a love hate relationship with prednisone. It sends her through nasty mood swings, weight gain, and sleepless nights. It also is the best quick fix to cut down inflammation. After being off prednisone for 2.5 months after pretty much 2 years solid of being on prednisone, my daughter had to go back on prednisone (40mg) and started 1 week ago. She went from 14x to 9 x a day. Blood is reduced but still strong. I expected a better outcome by now. Could prednisone be losing its effectiveness?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm thinking that it maybe losing it's effectiveness. I used to be on prednisone every time I had a flare and was even on it for long periods of time too. My last time that I was on it (a couple years ago) before I changed doctors it didn't seem to be working for me either. My current doctor pretty much told me that he doesn't even want me near that stuff.

So, I'm wondering if my years of taking prednisone may have made me sort of immune of it (or grow a tolerance from it where it no longer works). I'm sorry I don't have better info for you. :ybatty: Hopefully you'll find something that'll do it's job for her soon. :hug:

Last edited:
It isn't that prednisone is losing its effectiveness so much as her body has built a tolerance to that dosage and will likely require either a longer taper or a higher dosage. It is one of the many unfortunate byproducts of pred.

The one time she was able to come off prednisone completely she did a very long taper (5 mg every other week). In 3 years she has only completely been off prednisone more than 2 months, and most of the 3 years varied between 40 MG to 20 mg. I wonder at 100lbs if she can go higher than 40. Not that I want it higher.

It is hard for doctors not to prescribe a drug that's been around for so long with such success. We just have way too many meds under the "failed medications ". Prednisone can not go in that list. Thanks for the input gals.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
3 years on pred and only been totally off it about 2 months! That's a long time to be on a steriod. I know I'm not a doctor. But, I'm not sure more than 40mg would be a good thing with her only being about 100lbs. Know your fear of putting pred on the failed list. Good luck and sending lots of hugs your way.

I think it will depend on how drastic the disease is. I have been on 60 mg and even higher doses than that, though I was in the hospital at the time and about 80 lbs and in serious condition. I am normally about 110-115 lbs when healthy, both times this happened I was knocking on death's door.

Doc thinks 10 days on the med, and cutting her trips in half show it is working. Just going to take longer to get it down to the 4-6x a day with no blood. Doc doesn't want to increase, actually for once wants her off it as soon as possible. Can't cone soon enough

Lady Organic

Staff member
I took several rounds of pred. It used to work like magic, very very fast and whithin a few days I was in remission. On my last flare, I got really scared because it took about 2 weeks for pred to kick in. The disease was worsening and I thought I lost response to the magic drug. BUt no, finally it kicked in and worked as great as usual. I weight the same as your daughter and my prednisone dose when I am in a big flare is 50mg. My first GI was more conservative and would not exceed 40mg for my colitis. Now we know I need 50mg to get to solid remission. Im a adult though. Protocols may be different in teens.

I see you daughter has failed many treatments. What is her doctor's plan next?

Doctor plan is another scope to compare the changes since the last scope in October, surgery to remove part of her colon, and add entyvio, drop simponi, and get off prednisone. She believes we will keep going in this cycle without surgery. I hope her plan works. 2 weeks on prednisone today and still plenty of blood. Hope it stops soon.