• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anti tnf (cimzia) and breastfeeding

Hello all,

I am pregnant and due in may and want to breastfeed up until now no one GI, midwife or obstetrician has said I wouldn't be able to whilst taking cimzia and have all seemed happy with my choice. Yesterday I phoned my rheumatologist office as they prescribe the drug for me and asked them about re-starting the cimzia 2 weeks after delivery which is what was agreed with my GI. The nurse asked asked if I was planning on breastfeeding and then went on to say they didn't know if this was possible and they will get back to me... They still haven't got back to me so I probably won't hear from them until next week. I feel really annoyed with this as they have wanted nothing to do with my treatment until now and have said I should be gastro led and I was happy with the plans that were in place. The rheumatology nurses never seem very informed and I feel like I am usually telling them things that they should know they really are a pain in the arse. I avoid seeing them as much as possible as they always cause stress and I have had nothing but bad experiences with this department.
So that's my little moan and what's happening but would like to know if anyone here has breastfed whilst on cimzia or any other anti tnf? And could you give me some reassurance that this is possible. I have done research myself and haven't been able to find anything that says cimzia passes into breast milk and if small amounts did pass then it wouldn't be absorbed by the bowel. Plus I was on cimzia up until the 3rd trimester so it being safe in pregnancy makes me think it should be safe with breastfeeding?

I am breastfeeding my 7 month old and am taking 50 mgs of 6mp a day. I take it at night so there's the longest stretch of time in between her eating and my taking the med. It was OK via my GI and my little ones pediatrician.

Cimzias molecule is so large that it is unable to pass throught the placenta during pregnancy. The literature that comes with it say not to breast feed, because the effects are yet unknown, they even have a number to call if you do.

Thanks lookame unfortunately I don't tolerate 6mp or aza so this isn't an option for me but glad to hear you and your little one are doing well.

I have looked at the cimzia literature and I am aware that it says you can't breastfeeding but to me that doesn't mean that it's not safe, there is just no was for them to ethically trial that the drug is safe to use whilst breastfeeding. If I phone them I know they will not recommend it but it's only my rheumatology Drs that have suddenly had a problem with this all other Drs I have seen were ok with me breastfeeding and taking cimzia so I don't know why they feel differently. There is limited data but there are people who have breastfed on anti tnf and there children have not been affected because the amount that could pass into breast milk is so small and the drug not absorbed in the stomach otherwise why would we have to inject it and not just take a tablet. Also other drugs they use do pass into breast milk in small quantities like 6mp, aza and prednisone and are deemed safe so why not this particular drug? I feel like I know the risks and have done research but the rheumatology nurse/dr hadn't bothered and was just saying not to take it because they hadn't researched into it. I have had problems with this department before like I said with them giving me wrong information and generally being rubbish so even if they do say no I will be going back to my GI and obstetrician to speak to them about this as they have been much more helpful in giving me the risks and benefits and generally looking at the overall picture unlike rheumatology.
Sorry went off on one a bit again thank you both for taking time to reply

Just thought I would update rheumatology finally got back to me and said it is fine for me to breastfeed and take cimzia. They left this as a message and said if I have any other questions to phone them back well of course I had to phone them back as this wasn't what I had phoned up for this was them being awkward as usual. So phoned them again they said I should phone back after c section scar has healed enough and midwife is happy to order the cimzia I can see that being a painfull experience with them especially as I will be a bit preoccupied lol. I also asked again if I would need to redo loading doses and they said they would get back to me over a week later again still haven't heard anything. Ahhhh they drive me mad I wish my GI could sort this for me they are so much better. For now I give up chasing rheumatology and will deal with this all later on and if I still have problems will get my fantastic gastro nurse to give them a kick up the bum lol.