Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Mucus? I can't tell

03-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
brooklyn23

Mucus? I can't tell

So I don't know what mucus in the stool looks like, but I have noticed for a while a weird little halo of whiteish goop on most of my stools. It isn't much but it is visible and I don't think it's fat, though sometimes the water seems greasy after I go.

But does that sound like mucus?
Queen of the magical mystical utterly-debilitating ovulation pain.

Higher. Further. Faster. More. - Hopeless comic book nerd
03-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Sounds like mucus to me. Mucus on stool is the same thing as boogers in your nose. It can be thin and slimy or it can be like globs of gelatinous white/clear stuff.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
03-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
brooklyn23

Is it something I should tell my doctor about?
03-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
It can be the beginning of a flare. If this is a new symptom for you, definitely get it checked out.

Everyone's bowels produce mucus, but excess amounts can be from inflammation, infection, or even just something that accompanies constipation.
03-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
brooklyn23

My doc doesn't know if I'm flaring or not. The scopes were equivocal at best. But I've been in pain and fatigued and had joint pain and constipation. I feel a bit better since he put me on pentasa a week ago but the mucus was something I never brought up. I guess it didn't occur to me that it was mucus
03-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Those do sound a lot like flare symptoms, though. That's good he's put you on Pentasa, at least. Are you on anything else?
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
03-14-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
brooklyn23

Just pentasa. Like I said my pill cam was barely anything. A small amount of redness. Colonoscopy was completely clean. I've been off treatment for years. Because my worst symptoms were always linked to ovulation so I looked to gynecological causes. But that was a complete wash even after laparoscopy to rule out endo. I was fine for a long time but I got sick again in January. So I went through all the tests again. No ulcers like when I was first diagnosed. But the doc said it couldn't hurt to be back on pentasa
03-14-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
brooklyn23

I also talked to my mother who has IBS and she said mucus was one of her symptoms.
03-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
brooklyn23

Mucus is better today but there seems to be a consistent oil left in the toilet whenever I have a BM. :/
03-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oil in the toilet is usually undigested fat. Fat turns into a liquid from body heat, which is why it looks like oil in the toilet. Have you eaten anything different lately? Sometimes it can be due to eating a high-fat meal, or sometimes (for me at least) it just seems to be a flare thing. You may want to look at what your diet has been like lately and cut out anything that's high in fat for a bit and see if that helps.
03-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
brooklyn23

Nothing any higher than usual. In fact, I think I've been eating less fat than typically. Yesterday was eggs, toast and butter, and a turkey wrap with chips... they day before that was eggs and potatoes in a breakfast burrito, frozen yogurt, and then beef and bread for dinner.

But again, the oil is in addition to the gooey halo.
03-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
It might just be a flare thing then, like you're not fully digesting your food and that whatever amount of fat you're eating (even if it's not a lot) is not being fully broken down so it's coming out as oil. It happens to me in a flare too. Hopefully once you get things more under control, the oily undigested fat will stop happening. Are you only on Pentasa right now? That's probably not enough by itself to get a flare under control, if it were me I'd be calling the doctor and telling them about the oil & mucus and asking for something stronger to get the flare under control.
03-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
brooklyn23

I guess I want to give it a few days and see how it goes and see if the travel might have affected it. I was just on the phone with him about my Effexor and don't want to call too much.

Also I think he may be reluctant because my scopes didn't show much. Some redness in the ileum but nothing much. No obvious ulcers like I had in previous flares.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Mucus? I can't tell