Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Middle of the night poo - what if it hadn't woken me?

03-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
Wildmtnhoney

My Support Groups:
Middle of the night poo - what if it hadn't woken me?

Gross right? But I *barely* made it in the early hours this morning, and that got me thinking -- what if I hadn't woken fast enough?

Please please tell me that it will wake me. I've gone through this before, a year ago, and I know I always made it out of bed then. But I'm dealing with a potential diagnosis of sleep apnea and not sleeping well at all right now, except in the early hours...

Do I start sleeping on a towel? Invest in adult diapers? Sleep on the toilet?

At the same time -- I had told my GI NP that this has happened in the past, but wasn't currently happening when I saw her a week ago. My colonoscopy with GI Dr is next Friday. Is it worth calling them about, or just tell them next week?
03-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Crohns08

I don't think anything grosses out someone with crohn's disease anymore first off, Lol.

Secondly, I have always woken up unless I was under some form of sedative/pain killing medication - which you would think would slow things down enough but not always the case. If I were you I would just never trust a fart, not half asleep certainly.
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
03-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Good advice up there---never trust a fart. I had two accidents in the bed, but every other time I woke up. I would go back and forth with sleeping on a towel.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
03-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
A few times I woke up as it was happening and didn't manage to move fast enough. Not good, and changing your sheets at 3am isn't fun. Sleeping on a towel might not be a bad idea.
03-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Wildmtnhoney

My Support Groups:
Thank you all!

I think tonight I may sleep on a towel just for peace of mind, and see how things go (ha!).

Of course I should have known that really nothing poo related is "gross" here anymore LOL.

Very good advice to not trust a fart - I never do during daylight, no reason to at night, right?

Really, though, thanks so much. Just knowing I can come here, post this, and you guys have btdt, understand, etc, really means a lot.
03-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Before I had my ileostomy I had accidents sometimes, I did have accidents when in bed, but I think that's because I had so many rectal problems, including recurring rectal prolapses, which affected my ability to know when it was happening and control it. So I had accidents when awake too. Without those rectal problems, you should get enough sensation of what's going to happen to wake you up. I used incontinence pads, I know it's not glamorous. You can buy mattress protectors to put under your sheet, though I found an old shower curtain protects mattresses too. Now I have my ileostomy, I still use a mattress protector in case of leaks, but in the year and a half that I've had my stoma, it's only been put to the test one time.
03-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
lookame

My Support Groups:
I've had the wee morning runs to the bathroom...and I usually just barley don't make it. Thankfully it hasn't been in bed but still having to shower at 2am isn't fun, and taking your pants downstairs to the washer isn't fun either. on my worse nights I sleep next to the bathroom.

Bloodwork is indeterminate IBD, biopsies are crohns positive, symptoms and visually it's UC

Current meds-
Prednisone, humira, 6mp, and lialda
awaiting surgical consult

Mom of Little Z
eosinophilic esophagitis 5/2015
03-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
DEmberton

My Support Groups:
Very good advice to not trust a fart - I never do during daylight, no reason to at night, right?
That caught me out a few times, but fortunately only at home.

Pleased to say I don't have these issues any more.
03-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
wondering

My Support Groups:
I've had 1 accident in bed - but thankfully only a little came out and then I woke up and was able to run to the bathroom. I sleep on my stomach which helped with the clean up...

Current meds:
Pentasa
Iron
Vitamin D

Past meds:
Pentasa
Prednisone
Remicade
Azathioprine
03-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
Wildmtnhoney

My Support Groups:
I made it through last night with no accidents!

Still going to keep the towel under me, as I sleep on my back or side, but have a bit more confidence now.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Middle of the night poo - what if it hadn't woken me?