• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any Builders out there taking Aza? Worried about sun exposure

Hi,
Just wanting to hear from others in the same position.
My husband is a builder and does long hrs (physical work) in the sun.
He was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with Crohns.
He started on Pentasa but had a terrible heart reaction ( myocarditis and pericarditis ) and is now currently on Azathioprine 100mg daily
Every day is a constant worry about the amount of sun exposure and skin cancer risk.
He completely covers his skin with clothing,also sun cream on any other exposed skin ( face, hands etc ) it's just not practical to reapply multiple times a day once he starts working in a dirty/ dusty environment.
He has skin checks 6monthly but the concern won't go away.
He is considering changing careers ( regrettably )
Can anyone offer ther advice / story
Thankyou

Not a builder and not on Aza. But I am taking a medication that makes me sun sensitive and I have had melanoma--so I stay out of the sun or wear lots of sunscreen or sun protective clothing.
There is a company that makes sun protective clothing--the cloth really works--however, it does make one look a bit goofy. I have gotten over this and when we had an outbreak of West Nile Virus from mosquitos a few years ago, people stopped me in the street thinking that I was wearing mosquito protection and they wanted to buy some! http://www.sunveil.com
Some sporting goods stores also carry sun protective clothing.
Perhaps there is an occupational health and safety person that could help him out?