• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help

Hallo I'm new to this group. I was detected with Crohns three years back. Today I started Humira . Can say still very apprehensive as I live in South Africa and TB is a real problem.. I cannot take the anti viral drugs to protect me cause I have bad allergy to them. So I have choosen To go ahead with Humira and take the risk..... Any one out there in the same situation and if so what precautions do you take?

Welcome to the forum! Sorry I don't have any knowledge to share about the particular situation you're in with the TB risk where you are and Humira but I just wanted to say hi.

Has your doctor talked about monitoring you for signs of TB while you are on Humira? I hope it works well for you and that you get to enjoy good health on it.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Julia and welcome to the community.

I can understand your apprehension about taking Humira in an area where TB is prevalent.

Have you thought about wearing an appropriate grade protective mask when you're out in public?

All my best to you.

Hi Julia. I am in Cape Town and also had these worries. My Dr has only had 3 cases of TB and Humira - having said that they were a school teacher, nurse and police officer. So in the direct fire of TB. Taxis may be a problem and the problem of people not disclosing their TB status to you. Explain to everyone the problem and how bad it could be.

On a rather odd note - standing in queues ; if someone was coughing in a supermarket or bank queue - I just LEFT ASAP. No need to stress about harming peoples feelings as its your health at stake.

Good Luck. I am off Humira as of now and now trying Revellex as I built up immunity to it. I had 8 years on humira. Which medical aid is covering your meds if I may ask?